Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: critique this image

Re: critique this image

Vinny,

When I view your image I feel that I am straddling the line between the "known" and the abstract. For me, a successful photograph does one of two things it either tells a story very well or it poses a question to the viewer. I don't know that I feel that either one has happened here.

The image could be portrayed either way (objectively or abstractly). In my opinion, color does not lend itself to an abstract image in this case...I say this as primarily a black and white guy.

I will say that this is my honest opinion and that it should be recognized as nothing more than that. There are any number of interpertations that could me proferred here.

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    A thread for those who wish to have their images openly critiqued. I am interested in surveying the styles and communication for this process as well as learn something about art as it pertains to photography.

Here's an image to start with: architecture, night, Canham 5x7, FP4 most likely, 240mm Fuji-A; my old high school. This image was rendered on a calibrated monitor.
    I like it

I like it... up the stairs to the right, left and up, then right and up... action. Into the bright light... as mentioned, ascension. However, for me, a couple of distractions at the top. OK, I'm up to the bright light... then my eye is drawn into that triangle of ceiling, and that bright flash off the vertical beam. Lose that flash and knock the lightness of that ceiling down a bit. To me, I think those changes would make the picture work a bit better.

I like it.

I submit a photo that, technically, isn't LF. I also, respectfully, maintain that it is a LF photo--via spirit, intent & instinct. Some context.

In 1973 I graduated from art school, having studied painting. Tho the school had a photography course and many of my friends were photographers, photography made zero impact on me. It went in one ear and didn't even come out the other.

A degree in painting qualifies one for nothing. There are no job listings for painters in the want ads. I know--I looked and there weren't any. Good Oil person needed. Must be skilled in impasto. Salary commensurate with brushwork. Watercolor a plus. Benefits and overtime. Great Opportunity for the right dauber.

So I found work at a firm which did typography, commercial photography and reproduction photography. There I learned a bit of this and a bit of that but mainly I spent 2 years inside of a camera with it's own built-in darkroom, about as ULF as one can get. Before modern copiers, documents were copied via repro camera copying. I operated a Statmaster camera (and other Process Cameras). Huge 4-foot-extension bellows, huge & razor-sharp lenses, huge ground glass--like 24" x 36".

The 'subject' was held in vertical copy frames. It was all manual.
    The inside was a self-contained B&W darkroom. Steel sinks. Red light. Paper and film. Imagine being 2" tall and working inside the back of a Speed Graphic 40 hours a week. It was kinda like that.

I spent two years with my hands in the soup. There are still flecks of silver under the skin on my fingers.

I still thought nothing about photography as a medium. Tho sometimes when things were slow, I'd take pictures of co-workers with the big cameras. Litho film, paper negs or PMT (photo-mechanical transfer). Wish I'd saved some. Faces larger than life-size, right from the camera. Like immense mug shots, the poor subject standing bathed in glaring 1000 watt buzzing lamps from both sides.

Then I moved to NYC to play in punk-rock bands, tho 'punk' was only a tag. It was just real simple, basic rock n' roll noise. Lots of fun. Many of the band kids were 'also's.' They played guitar... but ALSO photographed/painted/made movies/wrote prose/sculpted...etc.

One day at a yard sale there was a little camera. I knew nothing about cameras except for the ones I'd operated at my job. But it was $3 so I bought it. It looked cool & ancient. Something about it fascinated me--probably the three dollar pricetag!. Argus Model A.

I shot one roll and had it drugstore-developed. Every light in my noggin went on. Photography had finally hit my brain, all-at-once & bigtime. I realized I'd already learned everything necessary to develop & print my own photos. I became instantly, totally obessed. Soon I found a 5th-hand enlarger and had turned a perfectly good closet into a pretty awful phonebooth of a darkroom.

NYC was one vast photo waiting to be made. It was like a drug, 24/7. Pretty soon I forgot about bands and just wanted to photograph the world.

The thing is, though, right from the start I thought of my Argus as--and used it as--a view camera. I didn't know any better. But soon I did 'know better' and acquired tons of gear, read every scrap of info about LF & view cameras.

Looking today at the few pix left from my Argus, I like 'em better than many taken later, after I'd come to KNOW STUFF and own the serious gear. I even like the vignetting. Dollar store Eugene Atget. If Atget owned an Argus he'd have taken 36 times more photos than he did. Just imagine!

Eventually my Argus A vanished into wherever.

But! Recently I found anther Argus A at a yard sale. Argus A's are inflation-proof!! They still cost $3!!! You can bet your last gold Three Dollar Bill that I'll use my new-ancient Argus A pretty soon. Few cameras vignette as consistently. No other view camera is as affordable or vague.

End of context.

NEW YORK WINDOW, 1980 Extra-ultra-compact-mini LF negative.

Dave Karp

This is always tough, and I usually stay away from these. But, here I go.

Subjects like this attract me. What do I like? I like the mood. I like the basic composition. It does give a sense of traveling through the image. I like the interplay of line and light. I like the textures.

Would I change anything if it were mine? I think so, but would have to experiment. What would I do? First, I would crop a bit. The lighter colored blocks on the left don't add anything for me, they are actually a distraction to me. The area to the right of the post similarly adds nothing. Same for the light on the top of the post base.

Anything else? If it were mine I would darken the floor a bit, dodge the landing and the stairs from the landing to the floor (and maybe up to the upper landing too), and try to tone down the light on the molding in the background that cuts through the photo. I would clean up the 5-6 spots on the stairs, even if they are spots of light. The geometric light shapes are far more interesting. Maybe I would try to tone down the bright light on the bricks at the top a bit. That would take some experimenting. The local contrast will be strong, so I am thinking there will still be a strong sensation of light. These are all nits. Nice photo.

Hope not to offend. I really do like it. Here is a potential recrop.

jetcode

For those who wish to post an image to be critiqued please state so in your post.

For those who wish to critique use the post # or persons name when commenting to clarify the image the commentary is directed at.

I prefer to remain silent when being critiqued, reading, assessing, and making changes to an image if necessary. At this point I am more interested in the way people view and absorb an image from the viewpoint of peer creators (at some level).

Thanks,
    Joe

jetcode

I want to thank everyone for critiquing the stairwell image in #1. Some really good ideas and thoughts about refinement.

Vinny,
    I'm still trying to figure out if there is anything of value I can contribute concerning your image.

janepaints,
    That was an excellent story to share. Sounds like a lot of photographers have musical roots, at least I do.

WOnderful presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
    I submit a photo that, technically, isn't LF. I also, respectfully, maintain that it is a LF photo--via spirit, intent & instinct. Some context.

In 1973 I graduated from art school, having studied painting. Tho the school had a photography course and many of my friends were photographers, photography made zero impact on me. It went in one ear and didn't even come out the other.

A degree in painting qualifies one for nothing. There are no job listings for painters in the want ads. I know--I looked and there weren't any. Good Oil person needed. Must be skilled in impasto. Salary commensurate with brushwork. Watercolor a plus. Benefits and overtime. Great Opportunity for the right dauber.

So I found work at a firm which did typography, commercial photography and reproduction photography. There I learned a bit of this and a bit of that but mainly I spent 2 years inside of a camera with it's own built-in darkroom, about as ULF as one can get. Before modern copiers, documents were copied via repro camera copying. I operated a Statmaster camera (and other Process Cameras). Huge 4-foot-extension bellows, huge & razor-sharp lenses, huge ground glass--like 24" x 36".

The 'subject' was held in vertical copy frames. It was all manual.
    The inside was a self-contained B&W darkroom. Steel sinks. Red light. Paper and film. Imagine being 2" tall and working inside the back of a Speed Graphic 40 hours a week. It was kinda like that.

I spent two years with my hands in the soup. There are still flecks of silver under the skin on my fingers.

I still thought nothing about photography as a medium. Tho sometimes when things were slow, I'd take pictures of co-workers with the big cameras. Litho film, paper negs or PMT (photo-mechanical transfer). Wish I'd saved some. Faces larger than life-size, right from the camera. Like immense mug shots, the poor subject standing bathed in glaring 1000 watt buzzing lamps from both sides.

Then I moved to NYC to play in punk-rock bands, tho 'punk' was only a tag. It was just real simple, basic rock n' roll noise. Lots of fun. Many of the band kids were 'also's.' They played guitar... but ALSO photographed/painted/made movies/wrote prose/sculpted...etc.

One day at a yard sale there was a little camera. I knew nothing about cameras except for the ones I'd operated at my job. But it was $3 so I bought it. It looked cool & ancient. Something about it fascinated me--probably the three dollar pricetag!. Argus Model A.

I shot one roll and had it drugstore-developed. Every light in my noggin went on. Photography had finally hit my brain, all-at-once & bigtime. I realized I'd already learned everything necessary to develop & print my own photos. I became instantly, totally obessed. Soon I found a 5th-hand enlarger and had turned a perfectly good closet into a pretty awful phonebooth of a darkroom.

NYC was one vast photo waiting to be made. It was like a drug, 24/7. Pretty soon I forgot about bands and just wanted to photograph the world.

The thing is, though, right from the start I thought of my Argus as--and used it as--a view camera. I didn't know any better. But soon I did 'know better' and acquired tons of gear, read every scrap of info about LF & view cameras.

Looking today at the few pix left from my Argus, I like 'em better than many taken later, after I'd come to KNOW STUFF and own the serious gear. I even like the vignetting. Dollar store Eugene Atget. If Atget owned an Argus he'd have taken 36 times more photos than he did. Just imagine!

Eventually my Argus A vanished into wherever.

But! Recently I found anther Argus A at a yard sale. Argus A's are inflation-proof!! They still cost $3!!! You can bet your last gold Three Dollar Bill that I'll use my new-ancient Argus A pretty soon. Few cameras vignette as consistently. No other view camera is as affordable or vague.

End of context.

NEW YORK WINDOW, 1980 Extra-ultra-compact-mini LF negative.

jetcode, you have a fine image. Now I want to see the images that go next to it.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    jetcode, you have a fine image. Now I want to see the images that go next to it.
    do you have any suggestions? - joe