Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tachihara

Tachihara

A general question for anyone that may have experience with these matters. I searched the archives but could not find any information on the Tachihara 45GF. Any opinions on this very inexpensive (but all I can afford right now) field camera would be greatly appreciated. For starters, how durable is it? How stable is it, at only 3.5 lbs?

I was looking at the Shen-Hao, also, which I have heard good and disparaging things about. Granted, I don't expect a whole lot out of a $600 field camera, but I do expect it to work for a reasonable amount of time before it falls apart.

Any and all opinions on either of these two cameras would be greatly appreciated. I'm shooting with an old Calumet monorail right now, and lugging it into the field is killing me. (although, I almost cried when I saw the transparencies for the first time; Ektachrome 100VS, see shot below)

Thanks a bunch!
    Paul

Tachihara

Hello Paul

Like the image especially seeing snow tops now that it is 100 degees in Florida!!!

I can say that I like my Tachihara very much and it has not fallen apart in the 4 years I have been using it. It does now show a bit of wear but that is from use not sitting around. My model is a 4x5 Calumet Woodfield XM by Tachihara. Came with a fresnel lens and gridded cover glass installed and uses the very common Wista/Linhof lens board. I bought it from the original owner who in turn purchased it from Calumet in the mid-1990's so it is about 10 years old now.

You will like the Tachihara if you have one in your hands. It is not cheaply built. Nor is it a view camera. The movements are limited but there. If this is your first field camera it might become your only 4x5!

Paul

Tachihara

Paul -

Don't believe any of the BS about the Shen-Hao falling apart after a few weeks of use. It's just not true.

They are capable cameras that will give you years of great service. The Shen-Hao offers more movements than the Tachihara, but is about 1.5 pounds heavier.

Both cameras will fulfill your needs and exceed your expectations. Unfortunately, you have hard decision to make between the two.

My vote is for the Shen-Hao. Others will vote for the Tachihara. Both are very capable cameras. Now you'll have to decide.

For more infor on the Shen-Hao, check out the Shen-Hao Users Group forums.

http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/?mforum=shug

Tachihara

I truly enjoy my Tachihara! I have never found it to be too fragile or loosen up with use. I have used my Tachihara for about 8+ months, but purchased it used. I even picked up a 5x7 expander unit for my 5x7 shots. It which works nice and hope to pick up a 5x7 enlarger I have been eyeing (sp) at the local photo store so I will not be limited to 5x7 contacts or have the local lab do a drum scan of the 5x7 trannies. I graduated from a 4x5 Korona to my 4x5 Tachihara and find it very sturdy, but still light. The only short comings I have found would be the fact that although it will accept my Fujinon 90mm, the short lens are typcially focused without a the rail, but a smooth glide of the lens toward the ground glass. Also, the bellows are not long enough for a 300mm plus lens which is focused for a 1:1 exposure, e.g., flowers. It works great for landscapes and p0rtraits. I finally decided that if I needed to focus even closer, I would use my 8x10 w/ a reducing back or just as an 8x10.

Tachihara

Paul-

I'm not sure what you consider "a reasonable amount of time", but I've been using my Shen-Hao quite a lot for the last two years and it's as good as new. There's been no wear and tear on the camera that's noticeable, it still locks down as well as the day that I got it. I expect that it'll last for quite a long time.

The down side to the Shen-Hao is the weight. It's considerably heavier than the Tachihara. Neither of these cameras is a bad choice, and in fact they're both quite amazing given the price point at which they're available.

If you want a camera with a Graflok back and as many movements as you can use, without weight being a consideration, the Shen-Hao's a fine camera. If you want to reduce the weight and don't need the extra movements and can work with a spring back, the Tachihara's a fine camera.

If you search the web for reports on any particular model of automobile, you'll find that the vast majority of the posts you read are about how awful the car is. The reason's pretty simple: People who have bad experiences want to share their pain. Whether to blow off steam, to "warn" others, or to attempt to hurt a manufacturer who they feel has hurt them, people who have bad experiences tend to communicate them. People with good experiences, on the other hand, tend not to say much of anything. Excepting, of course, when the inevitable discussions start between people who are emotionally tied to their purchase feel they're being ridiculed for their choice by those who have had a bad experience. Such is the nature of the Internet. Search out reports on anything and you'll read a lot of bad and very little good. Add to this the "my choice is better than your choice" arguments that happen in almost any field (Canon versus Nikon being the best example in photography) , and you'll find that you end up not wanting to buy anything.

Here's my advice (which is worth less than you paid for it): Decide on the set of features you'd like and what your budget will handle. This will narrow down the field dramatically. If possible, get your hands on the cameras you're interested in. (Finding other, helpful, photograpers near you is a good way to do this.) When you're ready to buy, buy from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the product. I've had very good luck with both Midwest Photo Exchange and Badger Graphics in this regard. When you get the camera, go over it carefully to make sure it's in good shape and then start using it. If it starts to show problems, contact the retailer you purchased it from as soon as possible and work out a solution. (This is the reason that I love working with Midwest and Badger: They'll both work with you after the sale.)

Every manufacturer makes lemons, not just automobile companies. If you get one, exchange it for another. You'll be fine, and you'll end up with a good camera.

Best of luck to you.

Tachihara

Paul

Here is a "quick" portrait I took of my daughter using my Tachihara and a Goerz 81/4" (210mm) f9 APO red dot artar in a compur shutter. You can find it at: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_id=1481&msg_id=00C7ar&photo_id=3341325&photo_sel_index=0

It is tough getting my kids to sit down for a meal, much less for a LF photo shoot.

Tachihara

Paul, another quick note, I just saw the Tachihara 45GF. There is one at that auction place with several images. It is the same identical camera as mine! Which I sort of suspected anyway but I happen to stumble over it just now and wanted to point that out.
    Paul

Tachihara

First, let me say 'thanks so much' to everyone that responded. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm fairly new to LF, and I have to say that I don't think I ever would have made the step up if it hadn't been for the accessibility and overall friendliness of this forum.

Paul: if it's any consolation, it will be close to 100 degrees here (Sacramento) in a day or two. Thanks so much for pointing out the one on 'that which is not named', too. I had actually bookmarked that item before posting this thread (it's what got me researching the Tachihara) and it's possibly a sign from someone that the seller is in the same city I am.

Dean- I've actually enjoyed viewing the Shen-Hao forums, and they were one of the factors in my decision to consider the Shen-Hao. Weight concerns me, so if I can shave 1 1/2 lbs off and get a comparably made camera, I probably would.

Jon: thanks for the info and the opinions. Happy owners are who I like to hear from.

Dave: Thanks for all the great considerations; I have a question for you, and everyone, farther down.

Jon: Great shot and a very pretty young lady you've got there.

Can anyone tell me what the back on the Tachihara is and how is it different from what I have now on the back of my monorail. (I believe it's called a Graflok)
    Right now, when I insert my polaroid 545i or Readyload, there is a silver bar that I pull back that separates the gg holder from the back and allows me to slide in the film holder. How would the Tachihara's be different?

Thanks again to everyone!
    Paul

P.S. I think no matter what I will be keeping the Calumet for still lifes and studio stuff. Let me know what you think of this one...

Tachihara

Okay, so the Tachihara is a 'spring back'. I've seen some concerns in the archives that a roll film holder (I have the Calumet C2) will not work with this type of back?

If that's the case then the Tachihara is right out, and I guess I'm going with the Shen-Hao. I shoot a lot of 120 with the C2 on my Calumet, and I would need it for the field camera.

Paul

Tachihara

I think the flat style calumet backs would work a polaroid and my Kodak sheet holder work fine??? My Graflex rollfilm graflok style holder do not but any flat one should??? You got me why a C-2 type holder would not work if it truely does not? Anybody use a Calumet roll film holder with their Tachihara???