Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case for Arca Swiss 8x10/4x5

Case for Arca Swiss 8x10/4x5

I'm looking to get an Arca Swiss outfit later this spring, an F-line 8x10 with 171mm standards and 4x5 assembly.
    I like cases that allow me to access anything I need quickly with a minimum of fuss, opening/closing, etc, so I tend to go for hard cases with dividers.
    Everything is visible and spread out, nothing is piled on top of another item, and no case-inside-a-case zippering.
    But the Arca is a slightly different kind of camera, and I'd like to know what current or past owners of such camera gear have used to carry around the 8x10 with its accessories.
    Just looking for some ideas, and I'm also wondering if there's anything special to look out for when considering a case for an Arca camera, such as the best way to leave the camera set up in the case, or anything else.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Case for Arca Swiss 8x10/4x5

I kept mine with a couple lenses and accs in a backpack (Tenba BP-L? about the same as LowePro Photo Trekker) and stored that in a Pelican 1610, was super easy and could take the whole thing or just the backpack depending on the shoot

Have the rail cut in 15mm and 25mm sections instead of equal 20mm sections, both carriers fit on the 15mm section easily

If you have no need for a backpack the camera and accs should be a nice fit in a 1610 with the TrekPak dividers
    in that case the 20mm rail section would be no problem

If you want to keep the 4x5 stuff in the case at the same time you may need to go up to a 1650

Thanks again, Adam.
    Is cutting the rail something I can do myself, with the proper tool, or should it be done by a machinist?

Also, you could just get a 15cm rail. My Universalis came with the 15, and the Mf2 a 20. I know the 30cm (to 45cm) telescoping rail has two 15mm sections, so you can get them in various sizes.

My 8x10 F Metric should ship this week and I'm doing the same, a 15cm rail (for packing standards onto) and a 25cm rail.

CB

I had them do it when I ordered mine new but it's pretty simple if you have a good saw and the skills

Personally I would have someone else do it as I am under no illusions about my abilities

I think it's also possible to get a 15cm rail piece used, Rod K may have one available

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Also, you could just get a 15cm rail. My Universalis came with the 15, and the Mf2 a 20. I know the 30cm (to 45cm) telescoping rail has two 15mm sections, so you can get them in various sizes.

My 8x10 F Metric should ship this week and I'm doing the same, a 15cm rail (for packing standards onto) and a 25cm rail.

CB
    Thanks, Christopher; I think the set I'm buying will include a 15cm rail as well as a longer rail.
    Congrats on your new camera!

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    I had them do it when I ordered mine new but it's pretty simple if you have a good saw and the skills

Personally I would have someone else do it as I am under no illusions about my abilities

I think it's also possible to get a 15cm rail piece used, Rod K may have one available
    I'm under no illusion either about my skills, I'd rather concentrate what few skills I have into making photos.
    I'll get some precise details about what's included and contact Rod if anything is needed.

Hi Ari,

My Arca Setup Includes 8x10 and 4x5 back with 6 lenses. I keep the rail and function carriers on the tripod when the standards aren't attached and leave the whole assembly (camera+rail) next to me in the car when I'm out shooting. I keep everything in two bags, one is a Kelty RPT (I think the biggest one) with its various modular padded containers. This bag holds the 4x5 back and 171 front standard, 4x5 holders, and about 4-5 lenses depending on if I'm using the 8x10.

In another bag, a Lowepro mid-sized bag, goes my 8x10 back with 8x10 holders (about 5 holders) and 1-2 lenses depending on the situation. I have a 3rd bag which holds processed/film.

Let me know if you want to chat on the phone about this. I really like my setup, but I don't do much hiking, and if I do I put the tripod and camera over my shoulder and suffer. ;-)

Dave Karp

Ari,

My 4x5 / 5x7 A-S is always mounted on a 15 cm rail. It packs up nice and easy this way. Instead of using the other 15cm rail that came with my expanding rail, I use a 30cm rail that I bought from a forum member. That fits on whatever they call the thing that holds the rail. It just slides forward when I mount the camera and 15cm rail section and gives me 45cm without even expanding the rail sections. This works nicely with longer lenses. Also, this was a less expensive option than purchasing a used rail extension piece. At least it was based on what was available when I was using.

Hope this is useful.

My Arca collection (this could apply to any brand), and lenses, go beyond what I would carry in my backpack. But, the extra equipment enables me to repurpose my pack for different types of photography.

If photographing architecture, I can emphasize super-wides and lenses up to about 250mm, and I can get by with the standard bellows.

If photographing landscape, I'd leave my 75mm behind and probably rarely use my 90mm. I might add a 355mm, and perhaps even a 450mm. Adding the latter, I would need to include a 700mm bellows a pair of 20cm rails and expand the overall rail length to 550mm.

Etc.

In the meantime, I keep the basics in my packpack (i.e. camera, universal bellows, lenses between 90mm and 250mm, standard bellows, etc.), and I keep the added equipment collected in a single Arca drawer to access for special needs.

I like a backpack for my Arca 8x10. Good idea to use a 15cm rail for storage in the backpack. A 40cm expandable rail system (with a 30cm rail) sits next to the camera. MC Photographic made cloth camera covers and I use one to protect the camera in the backpack. I can fit several lenses, 3 film holders, meter, etc. in the backpack. Used to use a Tenba "Huge" Backpack but switched to one (forgot the brand but it is out of production) that has better support. The backpack can hold the tripod but I usually carry it so the pack isn't to heavy. If you go this way finding a backpack with a good support structure is a must.