Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Razzle in Action (Portraits)

Re: The Razzle in Action (Portraits)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I was about to mention the same. The darkest tones on there are around 30 in RGB.
    Not to nit pick but that's where you want it if your printing with an Epson 9600 on Enhanced Matt paper.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

i'm a great believer in learning the non-academic way, so i'd direct ash towards a winnogrand book that contains some of his anti-vietnam demo work. each and everyone of those images contains all the criticism you need relating to these shots.

good luck! and hard work"
    !

also, it's the hardest thing to do - but using a 4x5 is a good excuse - why not ask for a formal shot, really engage, you don't seem to lack any patter... those 3 dudes in the back tee shirts could have been a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    i'm a great believer in learning the non-academic way, so i'd direct ash towards a winnogrand book that contains some of his anti-vietnam demo work. each and everyone of those images contains all the criticism you need relating to these shots.

good luck! and hard work"
    !
    ......and that book is? You have my interested piqued!

And BTW, what is it that Ash needs to learn that is not happening in his pictures? Is it written in the critique in the Winnograd book or just inherently obvious?

Certainly, one will always learn from Winograd, so the book has to be good anyway!

Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas and reference to this book!

Asher

I will only add a simple comment or two. I am using a calibrated Viewsonic flat screen CRT monitor on a PC, with a fairly high end graphics card (128 mb, and not configured for gaming). I see some very black blacks. The priest is holding the arm of a lady in a black sweater. On my monitor it is the darkest black it could be. The three black people wearing black outfits come out the same way, and yet there is good detail in their faces. That picture all looks appropriate to me.

So, the critiques on blacks surprised me.

Interesting pics, and whatever one might think about the large format vs the 35mm for street photos, I would bet they couldn't get much bigger than shown here if they were 35. At the same time I will say these would probably hold up well, enlarged much larger than shown here as a result of the 4X5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I will only add a simple comment or two. I am using a calibrated Viewsonic flat screen CRT monitor on a PC, with a fairly high end graphics card (128 mb, and not configured for gaming). I see some very black blacks. The priest is holding the arm of a lady in a black sweater. On my monitor it is the darkest black it could be. The three black people wearing black outfits come out the same way, and yet there is good detail in their faces. That picture all looks appropriate to me.

So, the critiques on blacks surprised me.

Interesting pics, and whatever one might think about the large format vs the 35mm for street photos, I would bet they couldn't get much bigger than shown here if they were 35. At the same time I will say these would probably hold up well, enlarged much larger than shown here as a result of the 4X5.
    Kuzano,

So right!

I'm looking at the images on a profiled Eizo monitor and they are fine. The final judgements and tweaks must be done at the time of printing and that depends on the output deivce: wet chemicals, which paper and or which inks and printer. There is no such thing as a completed file without reference to how it will be printed. Same with a negative! For my monitor and eyes the distribution of tonalities works. I know anything one needed could be delivered in a B&W print by processing digital files. So there's nothing I'd lose sleep about!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    And BTW, what is it that Ash needs to learn that is not happening in his pictures? Is it written in the critique in the Winnograd book or just inherently obvious?
    he(we) need to discover it for himself, then it stays in forever. he (we) tend to forget what someone else has told us quickly.

here are a few searching "winogrand peace demonstration"

In my opinion Frank is one of the best people photographers around. He doesnt do reportage and loves young girls with tatoos. He is a master photographer and his points should always be considered.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    but crit forces me to consider what I'm doing wrong and act on the advice.
    In my opinion never let a critique rob you of your vision and passion. A good critique exposes but does not condemn.

Oh geez, I'm sorry I even commented now, it's worst than pnet. Critiques just don't work online without facial expressions and personal contact, and even then it's touchy.

I know Ash is a serious photo student who wants to make this his career, I challenged him on a few points. If we just do nothing but praise everything then praise becomes worthless and how do you learn from that?

As I look at these, yes I see blacks... I just wish there was more separation but flat English light being what it is, whatever.

And as i study them closer, I see the subtle hints that they are large format and not 35mm, where he chose to focus is well done and all that.

But, my first impressions were, yeah, they reminded me of so many other protest shots I've seen. I guess what I find interesting about reportage done with a large format camera is the sort of work people like David Burnett (and his many copiers) are doing with the very selective focus that pulls the individuals out from the crowd and that sort of thing. These are pretty deadpan straight.

Yes, I could be more tactful I suppose.... but I think the damn hippies ought to buck up ;-)

Frank, don't stop what you do or how you say it. If people just want nice things said then show your images to your better half. I'm sure they won't be too mean. Take whatever 'advice' anyone has to offer and put your own weight on their comments. I value Franks skill with his images so I would take note of his comments. That's just me.

But then I'm not brave enough to show anyone but my wife my images.....