Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A wife’s tale?

Re: A wife’s tale?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kumpf View Post
    I was looking at some vintage 1960's lenses that had been in storage. Not surprisingly the shutters were slow or non functional.

The gentleman, a chemist by trade, suggested heating the lens to 100 -120 º F for one to two hours. He claims that the heat will soften the lubrication allowing the lens to function normally.

With no offense to wives – Is this a pure tale or does it work?
    If it worked, then why didn't he do it, before he tried selling them to you?

Answer me that one?

Lascassas, TN

Re: A wife’s tale?

He has moved to the dark side – gone digital………….

If we close this deal, the shutters when be sent out for a CLA.

Bill
    Bill Kumpf

Thumbs up Re: A wife’s tale?

In my (limited) experience, I've come to believe that all of the horror stories and cautions against DIY CLAs (i.e., the lighter fluid treatment) are based on nothing more than (1) paranoia, or (2) efforts to keep business headed toward the professional repairmen/women/persons. I can't recall ever hearing or reading anyone's first hand tale of woe from a careful journey into their large format camera's inner secrets.

Now admittedly, I've done only 2 shutters with the lighter fluid dunk. However, both came back wonderfully, gave all of the speeds with decent accuracy. More importantly, both still work perfectly 4 and 3 years later, respectively.

I do think it's important to re-oil the shaft ends after the napthalene dunk and a careful drying. (Compressed air -- canned air dusters work great -- is a big plus for getting the fluid and dissolved gunk out of tight spots.) Use a toothpick to pick up microdrops of oil, and oil the ends of the shafts where they penetrate the side plates. NO OIL on the gear teeth.

It's probably worth remembering, that LF shutters, with few exceptions, use 100+ year old technology. It sure ain't rocket science.