Thread: dr5 Digital Silver

dr5 Digital Silver

Since shooting 4x5 for the last 6 months, the one thing I really really miss is projection. IMHO, nothing is more satisfying than seeing a projected chrome on a monster screen. Digital projectors do not even come close (affordable ones anyway). So I was thinking of sending some of my 4x5 scanned images to dr5 to have them converted to 6x7 chromes for projection on my Mamiya Pro cabin projector. Has anyone on this forum tried this in the past? And if so, what sort of quality can I expect?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Re: dr5 Digital Silver

Haven't tired dr5 for LVT, though I have sent rolls of scala to them and some other stuff processed for positives too, I think it was hp5+. They do very fine work. At one point I was trying to figure out LVTs by dr5- what resolutions they offer and for what price, and gave up trying to sort it out; the Chicago Albumen site gives the resolutions in a clearer way and their turnaround is fantastic. They gave me a test piece at very high res that really impressed me, it is significantly enlargeable so it should project well. Mind you, just about anything's better than an lcd projector

An alternative might be to contact print to ortho film and have that dr5 processed, and skip the scanning. Ortho is inexpensive enough that you could make a few and have them bracket the development. I've been meaning to try that.