Thread: Sinar F2 8x10" MB+carrier frame on a Sinar P 8x10" Rear Bearer: advice needed.

Sinar F2 8x10" MB+carrier frame on a Sinar P 8x10" Rear Bearer: advice needed.

Hello everybody from a sunny Italy!

I've been offered a Sinar P - 8x10 Heavy Duty Rear Bearer and I'm quite tempted because I always wanted to transform my Sinar F2 8x10" in a Sinar C, but I don't know if it is possible to mount my F2 MB+carrier frame on the P bearer, the informations I have are that I need a P/P2 carrier frame since the F2 carrier frame is not compatible with the P bearer...is that correct?

Thank you!

Ciao
    Marco

Re: Sinar F2 8x10" MB+carrier frame on a Sinar P 8x10" Rear Bearer: advice needed.

Yes, you need the P carrier frame.

Re: Sinar F2 8x10" MB+carrier frame on a Sinar P 8x10" Rear Bearer: advice needed.

Antonio is correct. While the two frames (the surround for the groundglass and the groundglass assembly itself) are the same, the base where the frame attaches to the bearer are different. You could try to find the necesasary part and switch it out, but finding the entire frame would probably be easier.

Thank you Antonio, thank you Jerry!

mmmmmmmhhhhhh, too complicated and too expensive (if I had to purchase other items), maybe I'd better look for a P2 bearer, I think it fits my F2...

Ciao!!
    Marco

Marco, the P2 bearer is the same as the P.
    The only way of using an F2 carrier frame on a P or P2 bearer is adapting it to fit. I have a 4x5 standard F carrier that was adapted for a P bearer by it's previous owner. Rather rough machining was done, but it works fine. If you're interesed I can post some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Corcuera View Post
    Rather rough machining was done, but it works fine. If you're interesed I can post some pictures.

If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd love to see some pictures, my father is very good at machining, maybe we can try to do the same...thank you!!!

Ciao
    Marco

So, here it goes - sorry for the bad pictures. You'll see the new part is built from what I think is aluminium, it attaches to the F frame via 4 screws and has the two notches and a lip to sit correctly on the P bearer. The attachment screw is also custom made.
    The piece was clearly built with the P bearer in hand or maybe even with a P carrier frame as a model. If you need measurements I can PM them to you.
    Bear in mind this works fine for the 4x5 frame, not sure if it will handle the same on 8x10.
    Cheers,
    Antonio

Antonio, thank you!, I really appreciate that!!!, I'll show the pictures to my father, let's see what he'll be able to do...

Ciao!
    Marco