Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What lights should I buy?

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Re: What lights should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    But, I tell models to close their eyes before I pop the switch.
    I think they still can't see for another 30 minutes.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Ed,

I gotta thank you for mentioning Norman's lights. I just saw that new post on Ebay and I coudn't refuse. I'm not sure if it was a good deal, but I talked to that guy and he told me the lights I bought have been used only once.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    I think I just got crazy

This is what I just bought. It is my Christmass present.
    I have been using Norman for 25 years now. They are workhorses. I have 5 2000w and 4 800w power pack and like 12 heads. Much more than I need, but they have been cheap on Ebay. Good huning.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Yup! Some suggestions for a 5K Mole.

* Do not use this for photographing ice cream.

* On an early morning shoot, place a small chicken in the housing just behind the lamp- by lunch time it will be ready to eat- saves you money at KFC and no trans fats.

* You can rent a cheap studio space without heating and survive quite nicely- even up here in Canada.

* On slow weeks you can rent it out to folks who are opening a new business or like to search for enemy aircraft by night.

* Does anyone know the melting point of human flesh?- good to know for portrait photographers.

* Use the insulated handles only unless you are a masochist or enjoy the oder of burning flesh.

* Not the best thing to use on a boom as a hair light unless you have a Volkswagen to use as a counterweight.

* May disturb the clergy of you brought this into a house of worship for some dramatic shots at a wedding assignment.

* Do not plug this in the same outlet as your toaster or your defibrillator.

* Do not advise former Vice President Gore that you have this in use or the green folks are gonna picket your studio!

Hay- I have a sense of humor too- but it is sick

Oh- I forgot!

When purchasing used electronic flash gear, watch out for carbonized flash tubes. The symptoms are blackened glass near the electrodes. Tubes like that are not long for this world and can yield poor color rendition. Also watch out for blackened connector pins and sockets- theses are signs of misuse.

On that unit that has only been used once- make sure tis owner did not try to use it on a glamor shoot and took the power supply on a swimming pool or bathtub. The poor guy may have electrocuted himself and never got to use his brand new strobe again. Maybe he is languishing away in a penatentery for killing his model.

Good luck! Ed

I own 2 AB800 and one AB1600 and wondering how to trigger LF cameras , I use wireless trigger for my 5D Mark II .

Quote Originally Posted by laffan View Post
    I own 2 AB800 and one AB1600 and wondering how to trigger LF cameras , I use wireless trigger for my 5D Mark II .
    I use an Elinchrom SkyPort for both my digitoy and my LF camera, when I use it. My strobe is an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra, which is nice and light (the power pack + flash head weigh a total of 5 pounds), so I can adjust the power output with the SkyPort. To trigger the SkyPort from the LF camera, I just connect a sync cord to the socket on the shutter, the SkyPort transmitter has a port for that and comes with a cable that fits the sync port on the shutter.

AlienBee had a transmitter that was very similar when I got my SkyPort, but since then they've introduced one that's actually quite a bit more sophisticated, but I don't know much more than that about it. I have heard from folks who used the earlier version that they worked quite well, and both the AlienBee and Elinchrom wireless triggers cost a lot less than PocketWizards -- you get a receiver AND transmitter + a set of adapter cables for the price of a single PocketWizard receiver OR transmitter.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Broncolor puts out the most light over any other pack f128@10ft. I've found that there are more used Brons on the market then any other brand.
    Try Jack's camera

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
    Yup! Some suggestions for a 5K Mole.

* Do not use this for photographing ice cream.

* On an early morning shoot, place a small chicken in the housing just behind the lamp- by lunch time it will be ready to eat- saves you money at KFC and no trans fats.

* You can rent a cheap studio space without heating and survive quite nicely- even up here in Canada.

* On slow weeks you can rent it out to folks who are opening a new business or like to search for enemy aircraft by night.

* Does anyone know the melting point of human flesh?- good to know for portrait photographers.

* Use the insulated handles only unless you are a masochist or enjoy the oder of burning flesh.

* Not the best thing to use on a boom as a hair light unless you have a Volkswagen to use as a counterweight.

* May disturb the clergy of you brought this into a house of worship for some dramatic shots at a wedding assignment.

* Do not plug this in the same outlet as your toaster or your defibrillator.

* Do not advise former Vice President Gore that you have this in use or the green folks are gonna picket your studio!

Hay- I have a sense of humor too- but it is sick
    You may have been trying to be funny, but I'll bet anyone who has used these units will agree with most of what you have said ( well, maybe NOT the chicken). Back in the 60's, I worked at a commercial studio that had several of these units. The boss's motto was -- if you can open a door, do not turn on the air conditioning. I remember working with these lights in the summer and having dozens of wasps fly into the studio. Some little wasp spirit must have been whispering to them -- go into the light! They all experienced "wasp heaven" as their bodies hit he reflector -- and burning wasps really STINK!