Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: tripod head for 810

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    tripod head for 810

    Which tripod head would you recommend for a 810?
    I am currently using Z1 for my 4X5, is Z1 good enough for a light weight 810? (between 5 lbs to 8 lbs)
    Does anyone using quick release system for 810? What is the longest arca type quick release plate on the market?

  2. #2
    Whatever David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: tripod head for 810

    RRS makes very long "multipurpose plates" if you want a really long one. They also have one that's about 3-4" with two screws and a wider top surface that works well with flatbeds (plate number B35 if I remember correctly). I have one on my 7x17" Korona, and it works well, even with the camera on its side for verticals (I've added a second tripod socket to the camera to keep the camera from twisting on the plate in the vertical orientation).

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    6,490

    Re: tripod head for 810

    I use the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently. It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift. It worked nicely with my Shen Hao 8x10. As you can see in the photo, there is a nice hefty quick release plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails head.jpg  

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    462

    Re: tripod head for 810

    I can also recommend the Manfrotto 410. I use it with a K. B. Canham 8x10. The geared adjustments are a godsend.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    Re: tripod head for 810

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    RRS makes very long "multipurpose plates" if you want a really long one. They also have one that's about 3-4" with two screws and a wider top surface that works well with flatbeds (plate number B35 if I remember correctly). I have one on my 7x17" Korona, and it works well, even with the camera on its side for verticals (I've added a second tripod socket to the camera to keep the camera from twisting on the plate in the vertical orientation).
    Thanks David, I just saw an 8" plate made by Kirk on Ebay. I think that is long enough. What tripod head do you use?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    886

    Re: tripod head for 810

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I use the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently. It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift. It worked nicely with my Shen Hao 8x10. As you can see in the photo, there is a nice hefty quick release plate.
    Ken,
    The manfrotto 410 was listed supports 11lbs. How does that work with a 810 and a copal 3 shutter lens?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    1,670

    Re: tripod head for 810

    I love Really Right Stuff products. I use their gear. But for 8x10, I don't use quick release. I like having as much tripod head connection to the base of my 8x10 camera as possible. It's all about stability for these massive cameras and lenses.

    For 8x10 I use the Ries double tilt head. http://www.riestripod.com/head.htm

    I've never been slowed down in setting up for a shot.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

    http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

  8. #8
    Whatever David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    4,539

    Re: tripod head for 810

    Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Thanks David, I just saw an 8" plate made by Kirk on Ebay. I think that is long enough. What tripod head do you use?
    That should be plenty. Long clamps are about 3-4 inches, so a plate longer than that just gives you the ability to adjust the camera for balance, which changes with different lenses and bellows extensions. Do you have more than one tripod socket? Having two or more screws improves stability and prevents the camera from twisting on the plate.

    I'm currently using an Arca-Swiss B2. Previously I used mainly a Gitzo G1570M in the field or a Majestic on my studio stand. I noticed a nice looking B2 on eBay yesterday.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    5,099

    Re: tripod head for 810

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    ...SNIP...For 8x10 I use the Ries double tilt head. I've never been slowed down in setting up for a shot.
    I was photographing today with my 8x10 on a Reis pod and Reis double tilt head. I set up on top of some fallen redwoods. Working 8 or more feet above the ground, it is nice to have a well built pod and head. Tilting the base of the head 90 degrees to the ground makes attaching the camera very easy...without having to do any gymnastics, one can easily see the head screw and the bottom of the camera to match them up.

    I have used a Majestic geared head. I attached the camera so that the geared movement controlled the horizon line...that is a sweet way to go.

    Vaughn

  10. #10
    Cyclothymic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459

    Re: tripod head for 810

    I use a good old AS B1 for 8x10.

Similar Threads

  1. tripod head
    By brian steinberger in forum Gear
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 1-Apr-2005, 12:21
  2. Camera rotates on tripod head. Fixes?
    By MIke Sherck in forum Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 1-Mar-2005, 13:13
  3. Trying to detach 3047 head from 3221w tripod
    By Matt Wensing in forum Gear
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2004, 21:34
  4. Tripod and Head Recommendations
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2000, 21:54
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-Nov-1999, 10:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •