Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LF film loading tutorial video

Confidently Agnostic!

Re: LF film loading tutorial video

Hmm, good point Chris. I suspect these all have very minor impacts anyway - best to just load 'em up in whatever way works for you and get out shooting.

Of course keeping them clean in the first place is probably the most important thing (I do that too).

I use St. Ansel's "white slide, new film inside" method. In the field, there are really only TWO states for a holder: (1) unexposed film inside, or (2) "do not use." It doesn't really make any difference at that point, whether the holder with the dark side of the slide out is already exposed or just empty; either a double exposure or no exposure will result, and either is bad.

To solve the tri-state ambiguity, I use a rubber band on each holder. If there is film in the holder, exposed or not, the rubber band goes around the long dimension of the holder. This also serves as an additional safety to prevent accidental darkslide extraction! If the holder is empty, the rubber band goes around the short dimension of the holder. In the event I find a holder without a rubber band (they break sometimes) I just assume there's film inside and don't open it except in a changing bag or darkroom.

Rio Oso shooter

Good video I wish I would have had it when I started. Alan the rubber band method is great I have been using the same system for a little while and I love it. It saves reaching into the bag and pulling the dark slide out and ruining film and doubles for an empty holder indicator. You do not want to run around with a dark slide not engaged with the flap you will ruin it.

Richard

Nicolai, excellent job/idea. Useful for many. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    Good place for campers to load your film is at truck stops. They have private shower rooms averaging $2.50-$5. You got your own shower room, no windows, throw the towel they give you along bottom of door...total darkness! Now you got lots of room and time to load your film. When done, take your shower. I have never needed a film loading tent yet. I use readyloads most of the time, but when I run out, I rely on loading film having a 50 sheet box along for insurance.
    I generally carry a dark bag & a pair of white gloves so that when I am in need I can reload. Ah, funny thing use the bath room , , , one day I long ago I was sitting in the photo class when a fellow student (we became good friends) came running in & told me to come with him. We went back into the lab area, to the set of darkrooms that were set aside for color work & film loading. After dragging me into one of the rooms & closing the door, we stood there in the dark. Time passed & I came impatient, afterall what could he want to show me in a dark room? Time passed & each time I asked him, he said wait. Finally he asked me to look around & tell him what I saw? I looked around & saw nothing. Then he said look up. What I saw was light being reflected through the vent system and anyone loading film of course were taking a chance on fogging their film. How much was dependent on the time of day & the speed of the film.