Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OS X Leopard - Compatiblity Issues ?

Re: OS X Leopard - Compatiblity Issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    I am always wondering what's the rush to install a new OS the day it is released ??.
    Youthful enthusiasm.

On a positive note, it seems that Apple has sped-up the rendering of thumbnail images. The thumbnails for large TIF and PSD files used to take a long time to appear. Now, they seem to take almost no time at all.

Ken, if you are referring to the thumnail display in the icon view within regular Finder windows, then my guess would be that it (the OS X) is indexing the files in the background (for Spotlight) and caching the thumbnails it recognizes along the way.

Did you notice any difference in Photoshop performance yet?

I loaded Leopard today. Everything is running well ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Ken, if you are referring to the thumnail display in the icon view within regular Finder windows, then my guess would be that it (the OS X) is indexing the files in the background (for Spotlight) and caching the thumbnails it recognizes along the way.

Did you notice any difference in Photoshop performance yet?
    It may be caching them, but it also seems to generate the icons, for the first time, faster than it did before. Perhaps there have been some general improvements in the graphics engine.

Should I expect to see them in PS also ? It is certainly not any slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It may be caching them, but it also seems to generate the icons, for the first time, faster than it did before. Perhaps there have been some general improvements in the graphics engine.
    Graphics engine improvements have been a part of every major edition of OSX to date and I would be very surprised and dissapointed it that weren't the case with this one.

Along with all the other improvements, of course.

Excellent. I was about to change my work flow: When I scanning a large image as a TIFF, also create an accompanying small JPG, which Finder could render quickly... but I don't need to do that now !

That improvement alone is worth the price of the upgrade. My 3-yr old PowerBook a now a "faster" machine. I'll take it.

Perhaps these rendering improvements were needed to enable the new "Cover Flow" Finder feature, which lets you browse files of arbitrary type, while seeing a huge accompanying "thumbnail".

Whatever the reason, it works, with native support for PSD files too. I gotta hand it to 'em.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 1-Nov-2007 at 14:22.

Thumbs down Re: OS X Leopard - Not on my 3 year old eMac

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Anybody know if it will go on an eMac?
    Definite -- it won't go on my 3 year old eMac. No more Apple for me!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The eMac is still perfectly useable as-is. You can send it to me if you don't want it any more.

Actually, 3 years is a fairly long time in the world of computers. Sales departments depreciate laptops at around 12-18 months. To call on a customer, carrying around an old clunker, is less than impressive.

I wouldn't be surprised if many 3-year old PCs are indadequate, if not just to install Vista, to get good performance. Perhaps Apple is simply making the decision for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Excellent. I was about to change my work flow: When I scanning a large image as a TIFF, also create an accompanying small JPG, which Finder could render quickly... but I don't need to do that now !

That improvement alone is worth the price of the upgrade. My 3-yr old PowerBook a now a "faster" machine. I'll take it.

Perhaps these rendering improvements were needed to enable the new "Cover Flow" Finder feature, which lets you browse files of arbitrary type, while seeing a huge accompanying "thumbnail".

Whatever the reason, it works, with native support for PSD files too. I gotta hand it to 'em.
    I too am a big fan of coverflow. This and time machine were the two biggest selling points for me.