Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OS X Leopard - Compatiblity Issues ?

Re: OS X Leopard - Compatiblity Issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Man you are brave.
    A bit perhaps. I backed up my machine first.

I have been doing a backup once a week with SuperDuper - but that may become unnecessary if I start using the OSX TimeMachine feature.

I also keep all my photo files on a separate external drive. So that makes 3 drives: the laptop, the archive, and the photo files. So I felt fairly comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    What about 64 bit support? If the OSes don't have it, Photoshop won't have it either. I'd love for Photoshop to support at least 8GB. Make it much easier to work with these 1.5GB drum scans.

What I remember about OS X.4 was that it had partial 64 bit support, but I don't remember if the entire VM system was 64 bit or not.

Anyone?

bruce, with the current photoshop cs3 not being a 64bit support, how does it feel working on a TIFF 1.5 GB file on a macbook pro 4GB RAM support?

Doug Dolde

I installed Leopard on my MacBook Pro yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until the end when I got a "Blue screen". Couldn't get past it. Took it to the close by Apple Store and they got it going.

I have one program that crashes under Leopard: DVD to iPod Converter. This is relatively minor but will have to wait for a patch.

Overall, not a very smooth experience.

I installed it - absolutely no problems (at this stage) - CS3,Epson scan, epson 2100 and MS Office all work perfectly.
    John

No problems here on one machine, 5 more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    The Ratoc FR1SX FireWire to SCSI adapter.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    I just got new iMac with Leopard and I was planning to get one of those adapters to use with my Polaroid 45 Ultra scanner and vuescan. Too bad if it won't work.
    Can you give us any more information? What are the symptoms? Does it recognize the adapter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    I installed Leopard on my MacBook Pro yesterday. Everything was going smoothly until the end when I got a "Blue screen". Couldn't get past it. Took it to the close by Apple Store and they got it going.

I have one program that crashes under Leopard: DVD to iPod Converter. This is relatively minor but will have to wait for a patch.

Overall, not a very smooth experience.
    Sounds like you ran into the "Application Enhancer" SNAFU. I actually did an "Upgrade" Leopard install for the very first time on my MBP-- previously I had been too bound to my years of Windows experience to even consider not doing the old wipe and install. Sure regretted my choice when I hit that blue screen at the end of the install! Luckily by that point many other folks had run into this and I was able to remove the offending files. Since then the MBP has been running Leopard smoothly-- and all of my programs are working.

For those of you considering an upgrade install, the offending files are part of an Application Enhancer module that is installed with a bunch of third-party programs AND (go figure) Logitech's Control Center. It is the latter that tripped me up as I keep my MBP very lean. So my new Travel Mouse caused the problem.

As I typed this my tech dropped my office copy of Leopard on my desk --- have to decide if I want to install it on my old G5 dual 2.5 with a grant deadline coming up. Ah, maybe not. Sure wouldn't mind a nice 24 inch iMac to replace this machine though..

JT

I stopped using Logitec products years ago, when I "merely" installed a Logitec mouse at a customer site. It crashed the (Windows) machine, requiring a complete reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of the OS.

For the record, the Apple "Mighty Mouse" blue tooth wireless mouse works very nicely, and its unique method of scrolling (in my hand anyhow) gives rise to no repetitive motion problems. After using a Logitec track ball for a while, I almost needed a new thumb.

ImagePrint is now stating publicly that issues have arisen and that they are not currently compatible. They are working on a fix.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDuke View Post
    I just got new iMac with Leopard and I was planning to get one of those adapters to use with my Polaroid 45 Ultra scanner and vuescan. Too bad if it won't work.
    Can you give us any more information? What are the symptoms? Does it recognize the adapter at all?
    You might need to enable the FR1SX, restart, then disable the FR1SX, then restart again . . . and if you are lucky, it will recognize the scanner. The FR1SX Utility has only been tested by Ratoc to work up to Mac OS X 10.3.3, though in reality it works fine up to 10.3.9. Once you move into 10.4 or higher, support is spotty. A friend at Apple tells me SCSI is completely broken by 10.5, though that does not mean there is not a way to get it going. I would suggest digging through the forums on SilverFast, since sometimes people post unusual ways that they have found to make some set-ups work in later OS X versions.

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/...q/fr1sx.html#b

I don't know how good ViewScan support is on this. The bigger issue is the computer actually seeing the scanner. It might only see the adapter as a FireWire device, and not recognize the scanner connected to it.

The two scanners I am currently running are both operating through a FireWire to SCSI adapter (the FR1SX) and running SilverFast (6.4.4r6 and 6.5.1r1a). Sometimes either scanner shows up on start-up, and other times they require playing with the FR1SX Utility and numerous restarts. I am running OS X 10.3.9 on the scanning computer. I also run a Fujitsu MO drive through the FR1SX, which has no operating issues.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio