Thread: Making a promo card

Making a promo card

I use an Epson 3800 printer. I am interested in making a 3x5 or 4x5 promo card with an image, a little info, and my contact information. This would be something to hand out at portfolio review or in other places where I would like to leave something more than business card.

What is a good choice for paper, i.e., something that will allow a decent black and white image, but also be durable. I was thinking about Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy 5x7, laying out two per page and cutting it to make 3.5x5 cards.

Re: Making a promo card

To be honest, Modern Postcard or someone like that will make you 500 cards for not much more than $100, and you can design it yourself. Not only do you save time, but the ink and paper you would use on your inkjet will rack up and cost you almost as much. Even if you want to make a small run, I think the ordered promo card pays for itself over time. As long as your contact info doesn't change, the promo card is always good.

I think 4by6.com does a great job printing my promo cards and business cards.

http://www.4by6.com/

Send for their free sample packet. They are a little more expensive then most, but the paper stock and Satin finish is fantastic.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I've used Modern Postcard once, and (as a print broker and designer) was not impressed as the cards seemed dull...But the prices are good for consumer options, not as low as I can sell for though.

I would suggest for small runs a small local printer with a digital press, lay out 2 up on an 8.5 x 11 sheet size.

The more professional your handout, the better.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Hi Ed I use a photo promo card all the time. The way I do it may or may not suit you but I find it works well for me. I also find it very cost effective. I scan the images and size to 300dpi in Photoshop. I then make a composite card at 5x7 inches with the images and a bit of copy. Now what may seem strange is that I out put the images through the digital process at my local supermarket with the ICC profile for their machine …..which is a FUJI Frontier…. embedded. The process is almost pretty much perfect. ( until a few months ago the remote densitometer readings for many FUJI consumer labs in the UK were read and corrections given from the “States”) Give it a go. Try a few prints for a few pence / cents each and if it is no good nothing lost. It is great for short runns.GP

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I've had good success with a 4x6 card that I had printed on photographic paper at the local lab. I order them 50 at a time and pay about $.20 each. When I run out it's easy to get another 50 made and i can make any changes that I need because of the small run.
    They're really just 4x6 colour prints with a couple images, the website and contact info.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com