Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

Re: Traditional photography

Richard/Ash, I am hoping film will be around longer than five years, but am not as skeptical given the closure of six local labs in the last two years, with just one pro lab remaining. After that lab folds, I guess I have to start shipping, and then I will begin to question whether it is worth the hassle/effort and risk of having those valuable images lost in the mail.

Steve,

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about.

Good news is great news.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Yep, five years. If there is nowhere to get E6 processed, then Fuji and Kodak can manufacture as much film as they want, but it is not going to sell. Labs are shutting down at a phenomeneal rate while Fuji continues to bring out new E6 emulsions. This sends mixed signals at best. If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it. One lab for every major city would probably do the trick.
    But it is so easy to do yourself.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it.
    I agree... and they have to process more than just 35 mm. One of the larger drugstore chains here in Vancouver have labs in most of their stores.

But, try and get them to process 4x5 or larger... they look at you like you've just arrived from some other galaxy.

And, of course, we (as consumers and end-users) need to support these same labs.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

That's the reason I bought 27 boxes of 4x5 Velvia last year 90% off(apart from keeping my Panatomic-X company!) Every time I return from a flight the wife has sneaked more FOOD into the fridge; I keep explaining to her that at our age and weight the fridge is ONLY for fillm. She claims my film killed her last fridge, and bought me a mini-fridge for Father's Day, which I promptly refunded - and bought more film!
    P.S. Is it true that 1-hour labs can actually process 120 film quite easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Kolet View Post
    That's the reason I bought 27 boxes of 4x5 Velvia last year 90% off(apart from keeping my Panatomic-X company!) Every time I return from a flight the wife has sneaked more FOOD into the fridge; I keep explaining to her that at our age and weight the fridge is ONLY for fillm. She claims my film killed her last fridge, and bought me a mini-fridge for Father's Day, which I promptly refunded - and bought more film!

Depends on the machine.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Kolet View Post
    Uri,

Not that I know of...

Cheers

PS: G. King Photo isn't a 1-hour lab but give them a call (604.873.9329) and ask them.
    Life in the fast lane!

I started this thread because there are so many people predicting the demise of film and traditional photography.

I think we can relax and keep working.

steve simmons

Apologies for the negativity. Did not intend to derail the intent of the thread. Just voiceing a concern from my neck of the woods. I love LF landscape photography and chrome film and am glad that I made the transition six months ago. It would truly break my heart to have this enjoyment cut short.

I'll even add a note that, hopefully, turns the negativity around. No doubt that labs are closing and/or shutting don their film processing lines. The ones that remain, however, are the labs that are dedicated to serving our needs; the needs of professional and serious amateur photographers. The labs that are with us will be with us for a long time. Many of them have always done done smaller volume but done it carefully. I can think of a couple of labs that have closed in New Hampshire in the past few years and, with one exception, it has been no great loss. They were labs that were careless with processing, careless with film and catered to the consumer; not labs where I would take my film in the first place. I can, on the other hand, think of a number of labs across the country which cater to the professional, are run by dedicated passionate photographers/photo craftsmen, are successful small businesses and will stay with us as long as their owners are around.

I consider myself blessed that one of these labs is local to my neck of the woods. OTOH, I process my own E6 most of the time and it really is no big deal.