Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

Re: Traditional photography

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    greg, i think the key would be letting the photo world know that you exist, which would mean a lot of advertising and spending time on the internet.

I think it's a great idea.
    That's the hard part - getting the word out that we exist (as photographers and lab rats). I started out as a custom commercial lab, but have migrated to fine art printing with the advent of D*****l. Still have a few die-hard film geeks (including myself) in the stable. I've been running E6 daily, up to 8x10, for 28 years. It's hard to know where to put your ad $$$, the market is so targeted. With more labs closing down, operations like those described in this forum (the custom, hands-on labs) will hopefully fall into the niche that fine art shooters are looking for.

r.j.phil
    www.customphotolabct.com

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Quote Originally Posted by LargeFormatShooter View Post
    Mr SAShruby. Why do you think people on forum should care about ywht ou think about his posts. Some postings is very good. Other not so helpful to me but they can be to othee persons. It cannot be only postings that get you all angry. How old you are?

Mr. Moderator: I do not understand why let postings like this go on. One member whine like 2 year old about another member. This is sure way to lose good membership.

Mr. Dave Snow. You are very lucky to be close to ab that will process MF film in one hour. None of the ones here do MF except in 2 or 3 days.
    Well, for a start, before you say something you don't even understand, you should probably do a big picture of what is going on. If you don't analyze what I said, then you're two years old, not me.

Based on how many posts you posted here, I would say you know nothing about what is going on. Secondly, there are some issues you don't see in Budapest. You need to live in Vancouver. But you're welcomed to make your pointless comments.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Re: Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

Guys, 160 years ago photography killed painting yet I can go to a store in most towns and get artists' paint.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    Hopefully they are working equally hard on lenses that match the capability of the sensor. Canon's wide angles leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully Zeiss will start manufacturing lenses for the EOS mount. Until then, I'm sticking with 4x5.
    I use Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon DSLR's with an adapter. Phenomenal results. There's no auto anything but I'm not shooting racecars... the new zeiss SLR line doesn't have any automatic features anyways so whatever.

I actually did quite a bit of research before purchasing these lenses since they are somewhat of an investment, including emailing someone from Zeiss USA. It is my understanding Zeiss lenses will never be manufactured in EOS mount due to copyright complications.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Guys, 160 years ago photography killed painting yet I can go to a store in most towns and get artists' paint.
    Sorry, but the analogy doesn't work in this case. Film and traditional papers require major manufacturing infastructure to product; painting doesn't.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Randy H View Post
    I live in a larger major metro area, we have two labs left that process 120 in-house. None that "WILL" do anything larger. I don't necessarily think it is a matter of "ability" of these other places to process it. It is IMO a lack of "willingness" or proper training to do so, of that 18-year-old/minimum-wage/never-seen-nothing-like-that associate behind the glass counter.

at small labs 35mm and 120 is machine processed, sheet film is not.

painting doesn't.

paint does

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    I use Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon DSLR's with an adapter. Phenomenal results. There's no auto anything but I'm not shooting racecars... the new zeiss SLR line doesn't have any automatic features anyways so whatever.

I actually did quite a bit of research before purchasing these lenses since they are somewhat of an investment, including emailing someone from Zeiss USA. It is my understanding Zeiss lenses will never be manufactured in EOS mount due to copyright complications.
    The complication must be due to something else, because AFAIK the copyright applies primarily to the electronic interface which controls the aperture and transfers data between the lens and camera, not the bayonet mount itself. Since these lenses are all manual anyway, they need no electronics. Manual xxx-to-EOS adapters are relatively easy (and cheap) to find - if the physical mount itself were the problem, I'm sure Canon would go after their sources, just like Epson is doing these days with ink cartridges.

As a side note, EOS mount has one of the shortest Flange To Focal Plane Distances, which makes it possible to adopt most other lenses to EOS. One of those that cannot be adopted is Canon FD, which has a shorter FTFPD. Canon obviously wanted to force the FD users to buy all new glass rather then adopt their old lenses, so they made sure that were not possible.