Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

For those of us interested in traditional photography I think Photo Plus was a plus. Ilford was there announcing that they weill continue all of the Kentmere products as well as their own after the acquisition, Freestyle announced they will continue to carry Kentmere products, Kodak has announced a new and improved T-Max 400, Fuji was promoting their newly released Velvia, there was a panel on the importance and future of black and white with concern expressed but positive feelings as well, etc., etc. Kodal, Fuji, and Ilford have all been surprised at the resiliency of the sheet film market, etc., etc.

Sorry, no doom and gloom here.

steve simmons

Dave Karp

Re: Traditional photography

Don't be sorry.

What concerns were voiced?

This is excellent news for one who dropped all his Canon DSLR gear to fund an Arca Swiss, Rodenstock glass, and lots of film. The first six months into LF has been mostly a positive experience (thanks to the excellent contributers on this forum) and the prints I am able to produce at 16x20 and larger far exceed anything I could do with the Canon system. I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of 4x5 film before it is gone forever (I am talking strictly chrome film).

I think it is terrific news.

I am not one bit surprised.

Thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by JPlomley View Post
    I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of 4x5 film before it is gone forever (I am talking strictly chrome film).

A five year death sentence? I'll have to refuse to believe that or else I might be dead by 25!

Let's hope Ilford survive at an affordable price

Yep, five years. If there is nowhere to get E6 processed, then Fuji and Kodak can manufacture as much film as they want, but it is not going to sell. Labs are shutting down at a phenomeneal rate while Fuji continues to bring out new E6 emulsions. This sends mixed signals at best. If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it. One lab for every major city would probably do the trick.

That's all based on theory. Although you could see the closing of labs as an exponential curve, it could soon tail off.

The market is run by the customer, so if there are enough photographers who wish to shoot film for, say, 10 to 20 years and their voice is heard then the market and manufacturers/processors/retailers will respond.

Edit: E6 can also be processed at home. The dedicated will ALWAYS find a way (just look at alt-processes!)

E6 film will be around for much more than 5 years. There are still a reasonable number of larger and even smaller cities with labs processing (though with less frequency) transparencies. My local Pro Lab (VIP) is in Bethlehem, PA with a population of about 71,300. The town that I live in has a population of only 2400 and the lab is close enough to drop off film for processing and they do an excellent job.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Thanks for the update Steve!

Yes, thanks for the good news! Heck Steve, thanks for the great news!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White