Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farfetched idea?

Re: Farfetched idea?

That's all well and good for myself, but I don't plan on using 100 sheets on my own mug!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    That's all well and good for myself, but I don't plan on using 100 sheets on my own mug!
    Save the film for the manly guys -- it will make them look tough!

Vaughn

Ash,

give it a go it just might work. there used to be technique of using opposite filters on the lens and flash, anything in flash range would be normal on color film shifting to the lens color farther out. Red will reflect green or cyan but less than the other colors will, you might want to try red or magenta on the flash with ortho film.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    Ash,

give it a go it just might work. there used to be technique of using opposite filters on the lens and flash, anything in flash range would be normal on color film shifting to the lens color farther out. Red will reflect green or cyan but less than the other colors will, you might want to try red or magenta on the flash with ortho film.
    Hmmm...remember, ortho film does not respond (is not sensitive) to red light...which is why it can be handled under a red safelight. If one can wave a naked piece of ortho film under a red safelight without exposing/fogging it, passing a much smaller amount of red light through the lens onto the film will not do zip.

Vaughn

Any idea which of these would be most effective in altering a scene for Ortho film?
    Sure - if its red, paint it green or gray or something else other than red if you want it to appear lighter in the scene. You can give your model some pale green makeup and green lipstick too while you're at it. Even the classic white powder face with green lipstick would do very well. Some of that nice blue or green hair young people wear lately might do really nice. Of course, blood vessels in eyes would be pretty harsh!

It was quite common for old-time movie people to be made up in all sorts of odd colored makeup, with unusual colors in the clothes and sets. Even when not using ortho film, different films map colors a bit differently. You could shoot a Macbeth color card to see how some of your films map colors to gray in a visual manner.

And no, filters will not do the trick to make red read, unless the film has some red sensitivity. Perhaps even your ortho has a tiny little bit of red sesitivity if you let it expose long enough, then again, probably not enough. You could leave some under a red safelight for a few days, then develop to find out...

I noticed that if one uses an old-time, non-diffused portrait method, a person can come out looking better than expected with ortho - the harshness of the light sort of works with it. And if they have pale lips - no need for lipstick.

I just hope that glamour photogs that take cheesecakes of older women for their spouses don't use ortho - imagine the black vericose veins and tiny blood vessels! Whoa...

But think - if you took ortho photos for a dermatologist, at least they would get a great "before" picture!!

You know, you could always handle your regular pan film by infrared light and use infrared goggles if its the inspection part that's making you go ortho...

This was with the yellow flash head. Hideously underexposed, but the sweatband (blood-red) has minimal tone, it isn't flat black which shows some kinda improvement

Color is not the only factor to consider. When photographing a forest recently burned (Yosemite), I was surprised at how silvery gray some of the burnt tree trunks were rendered on the B&W film -- the black charcohl actually is highly reflective.

If a red object is at all shiny, it will reflect some non-red light. How deeply red (saturated) the object looks will depend on how much non-red light can bounce off its surface. I believe this is why a polarizer filter with color film produces more saturated colors -- it filters out the scattered light off of surfaces that would normally mute the colors of the objects.

vaughn

ash,
    i know you want to bend ortho to your will, but perhaps you would enjoy something on the other side - infrared. i know i do.