Thread: Arts School for youth needs your help

Arts School for youth needs your help

Hello my name is Bernadette Ramirez and I am the exec. Dir. for Cross Roads Cultural Arts Centre. We are an on site organization that brings a variety of educational art classes to at risk youth in several cities in the Los Angeles County. Our mission is to foster a young persons creative ability in an accepting and encouraging environment. We all have seen a decline in the arts in our schools, less than 30% of our schools offer arts enrichment courses as part of their regular curricullum. For this reason I founded this organization. We have a photography project with an incredible teacher, some of you may know him, he is Domenico Foschi. We are very excited to be able to reach these young people and teach them to see the beauty in the world and in themselves. We are in need of 35mm cameras, new or used and any other type of accessory that you might have to give. I know that it is difficult at times to give when there is lack. I ask not for myself but for the countless numbers of young minds that are waiting for a spark of light towards a future of hope and promise. My Name is Bernadette Ramirez, of Cross Roads Cultural Arts Centre a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. At 6717 Bright Ave. Whittier, Ca. 90601 Our Phone is (562) 237-3786
    our fax is (562) 789-4ART (4278) our e-mail is crossroadsbr@yahoo.com. I thank you in advance for your generosity and consideration, and I ask that your gift be multiplied back to you many times over.
    Peace and Joy to You All;
    Bernadette Ramirez
    CRCAC

Re: Arts School for youth needs your help

Bernadette,

Are you looking for 35mm film cameras?

d

Hi Bernadette,

A good thing you are doing! The concept like taking a winning photograph of a perfect landscape is disarmingly simple as a goal. However there is a lot more than getting cameras, IMHO, if I understand what you are doing.

The project is worthy but complicated. One needs enough cameras and they need to be similar so one can give instruction. Then one hs to have either sufficient darkroom equipment of computers with adequate screens to make htis worthwhile.

There should be a way of giving some reward in showing the pictures and giving further opportunities to people who show promise.

Then all this has to be done with skill to deal with issues such as the safety of children and much more! But I'm sure you have already thought of much of this anyway and if you are just giving a small number of enrolled kids an opportunity, less problem is involved. However, bringing any outside folk requires screening to standards that include background checks for offenders etc!

I'd love to discuss this with you if you PM me and then we could chat on the phone.

kind wishes and good luck anyway!

DWROSS; Yes we are looking for 35mm cameras and the response from this forum has been phenominal, I thank you all.
    Asher, I totally understand what you're saying. I am working with a very experienced photographer you may have heard of him? Domenico Foschi, he is working with the agency as the Photography Instructor. We will be having the film developed like many photographers do, until we receive funding for our darkroom. Baby steps. I'm anxious to see what the kids turn out. He is teaching his class at a shelter for homeless families with children. I find that although the condidions may not always be what we would wish for, we sometimes have to work with what we have. My e-mail is crossroadsbr@yahoo.com if you would like to talk to me personally.
    Thank you both for your response.