Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300mm fujinon C

300mm fujinon C

Is this lens like the G-clarons in the way that they are copy camera lenses? I have been using a 305mm g-claron and don't care for it at all, despite the praise they receive. I don't want another lens optimized for 1:1 and only single coated. I know the Fujinon C lenses are multi-coated, have great coverage, and relatively small. Please tell me more about them as I am quite interested. Thanks in advance.

Jordan

Re: 300mm fujinon C

Whether the Fujinon would be a good choice for you depends on what it is you don't like about the G-Claron. Can you be more specific?

I have one of these little gems. It's very small - Copal 1, 250g, 52mm filters, 2 inches from lens cap to lens cap. It's multicoated, sharp and contrasty. The 380mm image circle will cover 8x10 nicely but I've only used it on 4x5. What's not to like?

It's one of my favorites. I keep it handcuffed to my wrist, drag it everywhere I go.

Smile Re: 300mm fujinon C

So glad to hear that Mark i have just commited to one from Badgers .cheers Gary

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Is this lens like the G-clarons in the way that they are copy camera lenses? I have been using a 305mm g-claron and don't care for it at all, despite the praise they receive.
    -snip-

Just curious what you don't like about your G-claron? My 270mm g-claron is just about my favourite lens.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

The things I don't like about the G-Claron are the way my prints end up looking. There is something off about the tonal range and deep shadows vs highlights. I know that some will say this is an exposure/development issue, but it's not. Plus, although some argue that this is a completely non-issue, but the images on a whole have a strange flatness to them (not in contrast, but in the depth of the image). I use the lens on 8x10. All you guys, especially Oren, always have really good answers and I really appreciate them, so thanks. I look forward to your guys assessment of my issues with the g-claron and whether the fujinon-c would be better.

Two totally different designs. To the best of my memory outside of focal length they have nothing in common.

The Fuji-c is a tessar type like the Nikon M.

The Claron depending on vintage is likely a Plasmat type. I think -)

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    The Fuji-c is a tessar type like the Nikon M.
    A tessar type like the Nikkor M, Fujinon L, or Xenar has 4 elements in 3 groups. The Fujinon C is 4 elements in 4 groups. See http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/c.htm. Comparing the diagrams reproduced on Kerry's site and some of the books in my library, I think this makes the Fujinon a symmetrical design, a Celor. I think this makes the Fujinon C more like an APO Ronar.

Whether the design makes any difference in the final photo is for each photographer to decide.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    The things I don't like about the G-Claron are the way my prints end up looking. There is something off about the tonal range and deep shadows vs highlights. I know that some will say this is an exposure/development issue, but it's not. Plus, although some argue that this is a completely non-issue, but the images on a whole have a strange flatness to them (not in contrast, but in the depth of the image).

Interesting - the things you don't like are kinda what appeal to me. But still, I think the issue you describe about tonal range can be extended towards German vs Japanese glass & lenses as a whole. Some American glass too - the tonality - for lack of better words is IMO different between my g-clarons and my RD artars.

Seeing what it is you are looking for, based on past examples (not that specific lens) I would try a Fujinon or even a RD artar of the right size.

Another thought too - just *pure* speculation on my part, but I've used both Agfapan and Fuji Neopan in the past, and those two sheet films have (or had ) very different "personalities" from each other. I sometimes wonder if the design of the lenses and film, even on a subconsious level incorporate a different philosophy on how an image should look from an aestheic point of view.

In any event, I agree with you about the "look" of the g-clarons that it is different, but disagree with you on the aesthetics. But then, my grandma was of good German stock, so maybe it's something genetic in my case.

good luck
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

for 8x10, i've found the apo sironar N to have a very nice "tonality" compare to G claron... but thay are huge piece of glass !
    the apo sironar S are a little bit sharper, with even more coverage, but cost much more !