Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best LF accessories?

Re: Best LF accessories?

Steve Pelton's recently acquired camper...Ashcroft here we come!!
    Sorry Steve, couldn't resist...

i gotta say, when the weather gets rough, i sure am glad i built this:

http://www.srosenberg.com/Website7/camper1.html

Scott, that is fantastic, got an idea for a Jeep Wrangler? I thought of an extension that I could make, taking the back seats our, that would extend out the back with the rear window of the hard top open.

Another vote for the GnassGear Readyload holder. Use one and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. Also in the category of brilliantly simple is Philipp Salzgeber's QuickDisc bellows-factor calculator (http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/). Nothing could be cheaper or simpler to use - yet it works perfectly.

Rangefinder binoculars
    GPS
    Linhof viewfinder
    ZoneVI B&W conversion Filter
    Sandbags
    Google Earth
    iPhone (for getting google earth satelitte images and current weather radar and satelitte images in the field, if you want to know if those clouds are going to clear, just look at the satelitte image taken in the last 5 minutes, amazing)

Given how long LF has been around, I'm going to risk suggesting that "recent" includes the development of the Bogen 3039 Super Pro tripod head and the 475 "Digital" Pro Tripod. With a little investigation, people will see that this combination is a Bogen upgrade from the venerable 3047 head and the 3036 tripod legs. Except that, it's a lot better.

The head takes the Bogen hexagonal plates, it's smooth, and it's strong. It's a three-way pan head, which I prefer for LF. It has levels that can be adjusted to the camera. It also has the lock to prevent the plate from accidentally coming loose. It's clearly much better built than the 3047. After fifteen years use, the 3047 would reach the point where it couldn't be adequately tightened. That's not a complaint. It was because the 3047 was an excellent head that I used it for 15 years. But, I doubt that will happen to the 3039, because it's that much better built.

The tripod is also better than it's predecessor, because while it includes independent angle adjustment for each leg (great for landscape), it also enables one to spread the legs evenly in all directions with a traditional center post arrangement (great for architecture). I like the clamps better on these legs, and the center post has a better design that is more rigid.

The combination is excellent for large format. Both the tripod and head are rated to a 26 lbs load, so they can handle up to an 8x10 camera. Together, they weigh just under 14 lbs, which isn't too bad for LF. By the way, I don't know why Bogen labels the tripod as "Digital". Political correctness, I guess. But, I would say that the tripod's a little heavy for that designation. Anyway, at about 5'7", I need a short step ladder to focus when the legs and center post are fully extended. This is enough height for me.

I guess I've made my point. This is the best head and tripod combination I've owned for LF. It's a joy to use.

Photobackpacker should do a film holder case that protects the film holders a little better than the Gnass model. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I just saw a Linhof cable release with a built in flashlight on eBay... cool.

Gene Smith said that the most important accessory for photography was the trash basket. I don't think that anything has changed (except that it seems to be used a lot less than it used to be).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Scott, that is fantastic, got an idea for a Jeep Wrangler? I thought of an extension that I could make, taking the back seats our, that would extend out the back with the rear window of the hard top open.
    tr - a wrangler is going to be tricky, as there simply isn't the length inside the vehicle to work with. going out the rear window might work, but it's not going to afford you any protection from inclement weather!

Best thing I have found so far, that really helped my use of a 4x5, is the Satin Snow ground glass I put on my Shen-Hao. This website is a great accessory for large format, though some here might not have thought of it in that way. Then there is the internet in general, providing opportunities to place your work before many more people, and find inspiring work from other photographers. Other than that, probably Pumas I wear, which keep me comfortable on location.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio