Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Best LF accessories?

Darkcloth Fumbler

Re: Best LF accessories?

jane: i talk like that when i've had two margaritas. cheers!

a 5x7 on a gorillapod. i am frightened. and yet strangely intrigued.

sounds like you have grabbed photography by the throat and told it who's boss. well done! so...what was the accessory? the gorillapod?
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by rippo View Post
    jane: i talk like that when i've had two margaritas. cheers!

a 5x7 on a gorillapod. i am frightened. and yet strangely intrigued.

sounds like you have grabbed photography by the throat and told it who's boss. well done! so...what was the accessory? the gorillapod?
    Hiya Rippo

When I have two margaritas (or two of anything) I seem to lose any ability to talk, think, blink or do much of anything whatsoever. So I don't have two or even one of anything. Anymore.

It's more like My Photographic Ineptness has grabbed me by my so-called brain and hollered "KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID." The KISS Method.

But seriously....oldtime 'cycle-style' cameras weigh VERY little. They mostly offer only very-basic bellow-extensions, movements etc. But they're quite-functional large-format cameras on the Cheap & Simple Side Of Life.

I just did a gerry-rigged Balancing Scale Test. Took a 24" plank of poplar. Balanced it over a dowel at midplank. Placed my Korona (with lens and inserted film holder) on one end, a liter bottle of water on the other. The bottle won the see-saw contest. Utterly. The 5x7 Seneca I bought would probably lose the contest as well. They're just wood, bellows, ground glass, small lenses and TINY bits of metal. Glorified cigar boxes.

Basic Definition Of 'Camera': Lens on one coast, Film on the other coast and lotsa Dark in-between.

And yes--the Gorillapod was my Good Accessory Nomination.

--Jane

1. Half of a 3 mil contractors garbage bag to keep my gear clean on the ground.
    2. REI Trekker hiking poles to reduce shock on the knees going downhill -Amazing!
    3. Coleman Ultimate Extreme marine 7 day cooler. It's $70 but it will pay itself off quickly with no more lost time going to get ice, the cost of the ice, and the gas wasted all considered. I bought it when I had to let food sit for four days while on a hike. It works very well and all my coolers will be replaced by them soon.
    4. Dual socks, thin inner sock and thick superwool outer socks have eliminated any blisters from ever happening.
    5. Have yet to get Iodine and vitamin C to replace using Micropur. Iodine will kill anything in the water in half an hour and a good shot of vitamin C will nutralize the iodine- no more bad taste and quick cheap water treatment.
    6. Ziplock large bags 15" x 15" to store Quickload boxes in a cooler.
    7. Love the Photobackpacker lens cases. Very light a well made.
    8. Converted cheap beach chair bag as a tripod bag. Needs some reinforcing and padding but they work great and don't attrack attention.
    9. 2 Quickload boxes a with thin foam lining inside on the sides. Probably not neccesary but I hate hearing the film in the box hit the inside of the box on every step.
    10. Dry Gatorade mix. Hiking in the desert heat requires drinking LOTS of water and eletrolytes as well as salt get flushed out of the body.
    11. 4x reading glasses for composing the image on the GG as recommended a while back on this forum.

Happy Trails!

I have seen photobackbacker lens cases mentioned on this thread several times .
    Where do you get them & what are they?
    The reason i ask is i use my wifes old tupperware to hold lenses mounted on boards .
    With silica gel inside to prevent moisture problems ,but they tend too be a bit bulky.cheers Gary

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Darkcloth Fumbler

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints View Post

When I have two margaritas (or two of anything) I seem to lose any ability to talk, think, blink or do much of anything whatsoever. So I don't have two or even one of anything. Anymore.
    I happened to have two margaritas under my belt last night when i typed that. In retrospect it might have been insulting, so i apologize if it offended.

i think the gorillapod is an excellent and unexpected accessory choice!

I have a kit 4x5 i bought from someone awhile back that could possibly survive on the biggest gorillapod, although i don't know if i'd want to attach it to a tree or railing...just set it on something. unfortunately, the gg seems to be misaligned in reference to the film plane. so i removed the lens and it will sit in a box.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Though I've never made it a habit to carry one, after yesterday's rain sleet and snow my new favorite accessory is a dry cotton towel. I think I'll start packing a couple hand towels in gallon-sized Freezer Ziplocks.