Thread: Bella Italia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bella Italia

We are leaving shortly for a photo workshop in Tuscany. Before the organized portion of the trip we will have a few days on our own. I am planning on visiting Vernazza in the Cinque Terre area for two days. I was there about ten years ago. Does anyone have any pointers about photograhy in the variuos incredibly photogenic villages--which, where and at what time of day etc.? As we are on foot in this area (with the exception of the train) it's good to know when to be where. Also, last time we visited Vernazza we parked in a car park about 1 km above the village and had to sweat our duffel into the place which caused a near mutiny on the part of my wife. This time we plan to jettison the car in La Speza or Monterosso and take the train. Does anyone have any experience with doing that. Caio.

Don Kellogg

jetcode

Re: Bella Italia

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kellogg View Post
    We are leaving shortly for a photo workshop in Tuscany. Before the organized portion of the trip we will have a few days on our own. I am planning on visiting Vernazza in the Cinque Terre area for two days. I was there about ten years ago. Does anyone have any pointers about photograhy in the variuos incredibly photogenic villages--which, where and at what time of day etc.? As we are on foot in this area (with the exception of the train) it's good to know when to be where. Also, last time we visited Vernazza we parked in a car park about 1 km above the village and had to sweat our duffel into the place which caused a near mutiny on the part of my wife. This time we plan to jettison the car in La Speza or Monterosso and take the train. Does anyone have any experience with doing that. Caio.

Don Kellogg
    Don,

Cinque Terre as you know is one of the great treasures in Italy. I stayed in Levanto and hiked the 5 villages one way and took the train back each day. It sounds like a lot of walking but it is a relatively short distance. The best times to shoot are still early mornings and late afternoons. There are some hill towns close by which are above the 5 villages. These are worth exploring as well. The whole place is incredible.

Joe

Scott Davis

I did the visit to the towns via train, from Genoa. Since they face west/southwest, afternoons will get you the best lighting into the towns. Whatever you do, the one side of Vernazza will always be in pretty significant shadow, so you won't be able to do much to shoot it because there's just no room for a tripod. I would definitely stick to the train and the trail between towns, and not bother with the car.

About 20 years ago I walked it from east to west, and loved it. I had little money, so it all went for food. At night I slept in vineyards, and for years afterwards, my sleeping bag smelled of sulfur! I took the train from La Spezia to the first town, which is Riomaggiore, I believe. The only trick is that only the local trains stop there, and they don't run all the time. If you go in from the other end, starting at Monterosso, you may have an easier time with trains.

Try to get to Portovenere too, if you can. It is closer to La Spezia, and is also a jewel.

Have fun!