Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which staining developer?

Which staining developer?

Hi,

I am thinking of changing to a staining developer. I mainly use HP5+, D76, Xtol, a combi plan tank, shoot 4x5 and scan for output (digital negs or as prints).

My main reasons are for a cheaper developer that can sit on my shelf for longer, and can give me a good negative that I may use for contact printing with an alternative process.

Recommendations?

Thanks Len

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Re: Which staining developer?

Here we go...

If you've been following the various developer threads, there are a couple of widely used staining developers, and then probably many more not-so-widely-used. I've been using Gordon Hutching's PMK for something like 20 years, tray developing. Steve Simmons, the publisher of ViewCamera usually recommends it as well. The newer staining formula, developed initially for rotary processing, is the Pyrocat family, one formulation is for rotary processing, and the other for tray/intermittant agitation (since I don't use it, I get Pyrocat HD and MC confused). All are available pre-mixed from Photographer's Formulary (there may well be others, I only have experience with PF). Again, from personal experience, PMK seems to have an indefinite shelf life in component form (there are two stock mixtures which you mix just before using), and is very dilute, hence very economical (the two traits you mention). I believe the Pyrocat formulae work the same way, and have similar characteristics. The biggest difference between PMK and Pyrocat is the stain color; I'll leave it to a Pyrocat user to explain the difference the stain color makes for printing. In the PMK case, the greenish stain is essentially self-masking for highlights if you use VC papers.

I have been using PMK Pyro for a couple years, but I recently tried the W2D2+ from PF, and it works fairly well. My negatives seem to be a tad sharper, but there's less stain.

My stain has been yellowish, not green as stated above. I'd be interested to know what accounts for the differences in stain color.

--Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    I have been using PMK Pyro for a couple years, but I recently tried the W2D2+ from PF, and it works fairly well. My negatives seem to be a tad sharper, but there's less stain.

My stain has been yellowish, not green as stated above. I'd be interested to know what accounts for the differences in stain color.

--Gary
    The exact color of the stain can vary a lot depending on film type and water quality. If there is any question about the quality of your tap water I advise mixing the working solution with purified water because both pyrogallol and pyrocatechin are highly sensitive to contaminants in the water. Bad water can cause elevated B+F levels and other problems such as mottling.

You may be able to get information about your local water supply by going to this site and following the links.
    http://qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm

I personally use tap water for most applications because the water in my area (Greenville, SC) comes from protected mountain reservoirs and is very pure.

Sandy King

I have used AND tested PMK, WD2D, ABC and Pyrocat HD as well as other formulations I have come across in books. To me the most versatile, lasting and easiest to use is Pyrocat HD.

If you go to the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

and then to the free articles section there is an article on staining developers which describes how and why they work.

I prefer the PMK. It has been around for 20+ years, has a long and very good track record, is very economical to use, and comes pre-mixed from Bostick and Sullivan and Photographers Formulary. Gordon Hutchings, who wrote The Book of Pyro, which you should read if you are unfamiliar with staining developers, has been involved in photography for 40+ years and has a chemistry background so he understands what the various chemicals do and how they interact.

Staining developers work especially well with films such as Tri-X, FP4+, HP5+. They make less of a difference with the T-Max films whose emulsion does not benefit from the stain as much as the other films.

steve simmons

My opinion, for whatever it is worth, is that TMAX films benefit from the stain as much as any of the other films mentioned, and I have both test data and real prints to support that view. I have tested and used TMAX-400 extensively for many years with staining developers and the results have been as good or better than with other films.

In addition to the work of Gordon Hutchings already mentioned I would also direct interested parties to my article on pyro staining developers at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html

Some of the specific data regarding film development is in need of revision due to recent changes in a number of emulsions, but by and large the article provides an interesting historical and technical introduction to staining developers.

Sandy King

Tmax 400 in the Pyrocat MC is just stunning and the prints really glow. I mix it in Glycol and it seems the stuff could last forever. Pyrocat may have changed my life. Thanks Sandy...Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    If you go to the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

They make less of a difference with the T-Max films whose emulsion does not benefit from the stain as much as the other films.

steve simmons
    My unscientific tests do not support that conclusion Steve. TMAX films stain very well, proportionately like traditional emulsions. I used PMK for years with TMAX and other films. I prefer Pyrocat-HD for the same reasons others have stated in similar threads.

Don Bryant