Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripods in Turkey

Tripods in Turkey

Does anyone have any first hand experience? I'm probably going over in May and will be traveling all over the place.

Thanks,

Eric
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Terence

Re: Tripods in Turkey

Apply to their consulate/embassy as soon as possible. Most of their historic sites require a permit from their equivalent of the State Department. It will take several months to get one. Not expensive, but a pain to get.

Explain that you are a tourist, not a professional, and it SHOULD make things go more smoothly.

Even with the permit, expect to get a little grief. Not terrible, but annoying.

I don't plan on doing the "tourist" stuff, but rather out in the country or in small towns. Any ideas on that??
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

These days only under a rocket launcher, be very careful over there and stay out of the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I don't plan on doing the "tourist" stuff, but rather out in the country or in small towns. Any ideas on that??
    Eric,

I spent a couple of weeks in Turkey around this time last year. You will of course need permission to photograph with a tripod in some of the important historical sites, Aya Sophia for example. However, you will rarely need permission to use a tripod in most other circumstances, certainly not out in the country or in small towns.

In fact, even in the major mosques in Turkey you are generally free to use your tripod. However, the rules and regulations for each mosque are under local control so the general rule is not absolute. Just be sure to take your shoes off before entering the mosque, be discreet and polite, and you should not have a problem.

On the whole I found that photographing in Turkey with a tripod to be much less restrictive than in some other countries, including Mexico, where some of the rules and regulations established by INAH for historical sites, are both stupid and useless.

Turkey is a fascinating county that offers a wealth of photographic opportunities, both geological and historical. I had a wonderful experience there and hope to return at some time in the near future.

Sandy King

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Turner Reich has no idea of course, Eric. Terence and Sandy are spot-on, however; Terence's advice mainly applies to photo/tripod permits of better known touristy spots.
    90% of Turkey is totally fine, tripod and permit or not, esp. away from the classic tourist areas.
    Eastern Kurdistan and areas around military (US/NATO/Turkish) bases should naturally always be avoided. In general, a great and picturesque country to photograph. I've just come back from a great trip to Ankara and Cappadocia....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    Turner Reich has no idea of course, Eric. Terence and Sandy are spot-on, however; Terence's advice mainly applies to photo/tripod permits of better known touristy spots.
    90% of Turkey is totally fine, tripod and permit or not, esp. away from the classic tourist areas.
    Eastern Kurdistan and areas around military (US/NATO/Turkish) bases should naturally always be avoided. In general, a great and picturesque country to photograph. I've just come back from a great trip to Ankara and Cappadocia....
    Carsten,
    I am fascinated by Cappadocia, are you going to post any photographs from your trip???..Evan Clarke

thanks everyone. I'm just beginning the research into where I want to go. Will probably do 2 weeks there with one week on the coast.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    thanks everyone. I'm just beginning the research into where I want to go. Will probably do 2 weeks there with one week on the coast.
    Eric,

I am attaching an image I made in a 6th century Christian monastery in the European part of Turkey, very near the shore of the Black Sea. This fellow was actually carved out of the rock. I can not remember the name of the town that it is near, but the monastery is called Aya (Saint) Nikolas.

Camera was a Fuji GW690III (90mm lens) on tripod. HP5+ film. Scanned with Leafscan 45 at 2540 ppi and printed as a palladium toned VDB from a digital negative, about 15X21" in size. Color of image is brownish black, but tone lost for the upload.

Sandy

Here is another image. This one is from the interior of the famous Blue Mosque in Istanbul.

Camera was Fuji GA645Zi, handheld, at about 1/8 second at f/9. Film was Portra 400 NC. Scanned with Leafscan 45 and printed as 8X10" print with HP B9180.

Sandy King