Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why Velvia 50 was and is so well liked?

Re: Why Velvia 50 was and is so well liked?

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I agree and I shoot both film and digital. They each have purpose. What I am adressing here is not the merits of Velvia but the mindset that denies that a film or print can be emulated (very closely) using powerful image processing tools.
    For some, "Very Closely" is not good enough, I enjoy a good amount of business, because I still shoot Velvia, we are photographers, and we all have out mind sets about certain things, I own both digital as well as film cameras and use them for the job at hand, but I fully understand both sides..and I have just about any powerful processing tool you want to talk about, due to a couple of our other business..shoot what you shoot and don't worry about what the other guy shoots, works for me..

Dave

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    For some, "Very Closely" is not good enough, I enjoy a good amount of business, because I still shoot Velvia, we are photographers, and we all have out mind sets about certain things, I own both digital as well as film cameras and use them for the job at hand, but I fully understand both sides..and I have just about any powerful processing tool you want to talk about, due to a couple of our other business..shoot what you shoot and don't worry about what the other guy shoots, works for me..

Dave
    It would be a fun exercise to expose 4 different color films, match them in PS, and hold a blind taste test. Then we will see two things: how well I can match color spectra, and how well participants can detect which film is which. To be truly precise the exact color correction processes would be notated and revealed at the end of the test.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    I agree and I shoot both film and digital. They each have purpose. What I am adressing here is not the merits of Velvia but the mindset that denies that a film or print can be emulated (very closely) using powerful image processing tools.
    I'm happy to send you two digital files.. One on Velvia and the other on a 5D and you can try to match them .. I can't even get close - the colours are completely different.

Tim

Ha Ha! 50 sheets of ORIGINAL 8x10 Velvia in the freezer rearing to go...

You know, many digital shooters are new to the scene, and are quite unaware about Velvia, and E100VS, and such stuff. Let me tell you, plopping an 8x10 Velvia transparency down on a light box for a group of DSLR users last Wednesday had them gasping for oxygen. I doubt very much that, of the 25 individuals in the room, any one of them was thinking, "Oh yeah, I can do that in Photoshop". Maybe someone thought that in retrospect, but not in that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Ha Ha! 50 sheets of ORIGINAL 8x10 Velvia in the freezer rearing to go...

You know, many digital shooters are new to the scene, and are quite unaware about Velvia, and E100VS, and such stuff. Let me tell you, plopping an 8x10 Velvia transparency down on a light box for a group of DSLR users last Wednesday had them gasping for oxygen. I doubt very much that, of the 25 individuals in the room, any one of them was thinking, "Oh yeah, I can do that in Photoshop". Maybe someone thought that in retrospect, but not in that moment.
    Rory, you had me falling off my chair with that comment, Thanks
    Lynn

You know, many digital shooters are new to the scene,

I think this is true in many areas. Newcomers think they've discovered something that is better than anything that happened before but in reality they don't have any sense of what has come before. Since it is new to them it must be new and better...

I hope us old timers stay around long enough to keep a sense of historical perspective alive.

steve simmons
    a 49er

In short, Velviavision.
    Mike

Viva Velvia. I prefer it over the Kodaks, which I still use in 4x5. But it's a pure love affair with the old 50. In a panic upon hearing it was to be discontinued I horded every roll of 120 I could find in Toronto. Once that stock is done I'll start using the new stuff....I guess.

Now to order it in 4x5. In Toronto it's probably a special order. Does anyone know if it is stocked here?