Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Velvia 50 was and is so well liked?

Why Velvia 50 was and is so well liked?

I'm new to film so to speak in the realm of 4x5, I have used film in my 35mm camera but not the low ISO 50. Why is it that many of you like this film. I know that it is a slower film but what can it do that the 100 wouldn't do, is it the grain factor, or what? I'm wanting to try some out to see but would like some thought from you folks first. I'd like to know what type of shooting you mostly do with it. Is the new better than the older film?
    Ralph

Re: Why Velvia 50 was and is so well liked?

The way it captures color and contrast, as well as the fine grain.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

If you have to ask you definitley havn't used it,grain factor is not the reason colour pallette is,and no the new is not on first viewing (only exsposed 6 sheets so no critical
    comparisons made yet)any better .cheers Gary

Velvia is very useful in hiding mediocre images behind a kaleidoscope of colors.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A film salesman once told me about a university study on "human color memory". Basically if you are shown a color swatch, and asked 10 minutes later to pick it out of 1000 similar swatches, you'll be close. An hour later, statistically eveyone pick something 10% more saturated. 24h later, everyone picks something 20% more saturated. So basically human memory remembers color more staurated than it was.

So Fuji (especially Velvia) aims to mimick how you'll remember the scene, not how it looks. Cool story at least.

I like shooting provia and velvia of the same scene, scan the provia, and adjust in CS2 until it resembles the velvia on a light box. I find the velvia too hard to scan with a low dmax scanner like mine.

Darkcloth Fumbler

so...ok...i'm in the same position. i've have only shot velvia in roll format, and it was asa 100, and maybe two rolls. so i've had little experience with it, but more experience with provia in 4x5 format. i don't spend a lot of time with chromes on a light table. they go into my scanner and get worked on that way.

so, if i'm only using chromes with scanners and photoshop, is there still any benefit? i can get similar color and contrast (not saying identical!) in PS. are there any other non-contrast, non-color reasons to shoot 'velveeta'?
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Velvia is very useful in hiding mediocre images behind a kaleidoscope of colors.
    No, that's the job of Fortia

For the record, I'm perfectly happy with Velvia 100, and one of my favorite films so far is Kodak Ektachrome E100VS. I don't have a lot of experience with velvia 50 though.

COLOR, COLOR, and COLOR!

Darkcloth Fumbler

i seem to recall getting that 'color' thing on provia too though.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Rio Oso shooter

I keep trying to get into Velvia 50 and keep going back to Velvia 100. The grain of both is excellent. 50 is like balancing a ball on a razor blade to get the right exposure. I often take the same shot with Velvia 100 and Provia 100 and the only difference is Provia has a more natural look to it. The saturation of both is very close at a good exposure. If I were to do it again I would start with Velvia 100 and Provia, much more managable and you will like the results of both. You still have to get another film that will work better in high constrast conditions but that is what is really good about sheet film you can pick the film that you want to shoot.

Good Luck,
    Richard