Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Instantograph 12x16,5cm

Lancaster Instantograph 12x16,5cm

Hi!

I have the possibility to buy an Lancaster Instantograph, half-plate (12x16,5cm) which I, if I buy it, intend to use, both with homemade dry plates and sheet film. However, I do not have the possibility to try the camera before I buy it.

Therefore, I wonder if someone have a Lancaster Instantograph. I assume that the modern cameras are easier to work with but how is an old Lancaster to work with?

Unfortunatly there is only one plate holder. Does anyone know where one could find additional plate holders?

Here is a picture of a Lancaster Instantograph: http://www.photographica.nu/cameracol/lanc201n.jpg

Regards
    fix_se

Re: Lancaster Instantograph 12x16,5cm

That picture isnt a half plate one - more like quarter plate.

Mine is an earlier model. It doesnt have a shutter, which can be a pain. You need to make sure that your homemade plates are very slow, or shoot film at dusk or dawn. Or get a packard shutter or make a lensboard.

Most dont have a modern tripod attachment - mine must have been adapted. Thats a pain.

You wont get more plate holders - they are not standard fit.

The bellows might leak. Mine were fine, but who knows.

I like mine, it was my first LF camera, but I think for film a modern one is nicer. For plates though its nice to use the original.

The lenses vary - mine has a landscape lens (and is landscape format). Whole plate ones often have portrait lenses and are portrait format.

Mine is identified as the 1893 patent instantograph, also half plate.

It has rear tilts, front rise/fall and a small amount of front swing with the standard loosened. All of the movements and extension are held by friction locks. The back is held by four arms and swings partly to one side to allow the film holder to be inserted.

It is limited compared to most field cameras made in the last hundred years but otherwise exactly the same in concept. If you used a modern lens there would be no reason (movements aside) why you couldn't get photos exactly the same as with a brand new camera. If you intend using brass barrel lenses then you'll need to learn a bit about old shutters (like the T-P roller blind) or simply stop down and shoot static subjects at really slow speeds.

Thanks for the information!

I think I will buy the Instantograph. Is it possible (and easy) to modify the back of the camera so that one could use normal/modern filmholders?

Regards,
    fix_se

I made some adapters out of aluminium sheet for 4x5 holders and grafmatics. This means that I didn't have to modify the back. It may require careful shimming of the ground glass so that it matches the film plane.

Hi!

Thanks. Do you have the possibility to upload some photos of the adapters on the camera back?

Regards,
    fix_se

Justin,

The Instantograph was introduced by J Lancaster & Sons in Birmingham circa 1886.

For the first 3 years of the Instantograph's evolution, none of the Instantograph models had name plaques although it was avaliable in quarter plate [3 1/4 x 4 1/4"], half plate [4 3/4 x 6 1/2] and whole plate [ 6 1/2 x 8 1/2"]. By 1889, the Instantograph became available in 4x5" and 5 x 7 1/2" formats.

This proliferation of Instantograph models signalled the rise of the golden age of the Instantograph by the 1890's. The Pocket Instantographs; Special Brass Bound Instantographs, Aluminium Mounted Instantographs, Folding Instantographs, Patent Instantographs, Imperial Instantographs were all variations which enjoyed the success of this finely made British camera. The historian scholar and author, Eaton Lothrop is of the same opinion that the Instantographs were well-made however perhaps he does not synthesise his findings into context. This era of camera manufacture saw England manufacture tail board; stand cameras, folding bellows cameras to the highest standards throughout the world and Lancaster & Sons were merely representative of a greater British industrial movement fuelled by engineering creativity and a skilled labour workforce: Scovill, Sanderson, Gandolfi, Thornton Pickard...

In the face of rising popularity and proliferation of models of the Instantograph by 1890, J Lancaster & Son's design philosophy for the Instantograph turned to issuing an enamelled plaque with the model and date of production in order to clarify the models for its market. It is this later historical stroke which enables Paul to easily identify the date of manufacture of his Instantograph precisely to within the year of manufacture. Any Instantograph issued prior to 1890, would not possess this name plaque, and therefore its age of manufacture could only be guaged by the absence of design features, such as a hinged camera bed for compactness, or the addition of swings on some models and requires a comparative approach with the known models of Instantographs. The Kodak Eastman House offers some light in this area.

The British Journal of Photography almanac identifies that over 150,000 Instantographs were sold by 1907. This level of popularity should address Fix_Se's question: "How easy is it to use a traditional Instantograph".

Paradoxically, the wane of the Instantograph era was parallelled on a national level with that of the Edwardian era. After 1907, only the triple extension Excelsior Instantograph remained in production and thereafter, extinction, as a new generation of folding pocket plate cameras came into being.

With respect to the image of the Instantograph shown by Fix_Se, the model is therefore post-1890, and could exist in any plate size from quarter, half or whole plate dimensions, the latter being rarer, in addition to 4x5 as well as 5x7 1/2 inch formats.

Lancaster & Sons also produced their own optics in Birmingham however did not always engrave inscriptions on the lenses supplied with their cameras. The early lenses were achromatic meniscii fitted in Lancaster's own patented Patent Rotary Shutter. In this respect, the model shown by Fix_Se is unusual in that it shows more signs of being complete and uninfluenced by later generations.

At the risk of being considered a purist, I might venture that such a fine historical camera would be best used according to its design characteristics rather than mutilated to fit modern imaging techniques. After all, a modern camera would be better for modern imaging.

Kind regards,

RJ

OK, I've cobbled together a quick page. The photos in it were taken years ago with a dire P&S digital that had astoundingly bad barrel distortion in close focus mode. Hopefully it will be enough to explain what I did.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paul...tantograph.htm

Crikey RJ!

We're a bit bookish aren't we?

I see you've been doing your research article on plate cameras hmm?

How's the Sanderson restoration coming along?

Fix_Se -

another vote for 'leave the half-plate Instantograph intact and don't mess'. Unless you can work on a hybrid 5x4 back' which doesn't affect the plate camera's fittings nor destroy its character. I've seen too many vintage Frankencameras which make me think: "why on earth did the £"^!"**% do that to it?" and I'm sure the original owner thought it was a good idea....at the time.

Modified Frankenplatecameras only eventually get flogged off because their owners eventually 'upgrade' and get the proper camera that they couldn't afford when they decided to get a plate camera.

Hi!

Thanks for the information! Of course, I will leave the Instantograph intact and only modify it if I do not have to damage it in any way.

I am bad at English and should have explained it better. The camera that I linked to earlier isn't the one that I have bought. Here is some photos of my camera. Does anyone of you know when it's made (from 1888 to when?) or have any other interesting information of the model?

Regards,
    fix_se