Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many 8x10 film holders in the field ?

How many 8x10 film holders in the field ?

I am passing from 4x5 format to 8x10 and since I deem that 8x10 is much slower in composing and in the field operations, I am curious to know how many film 8x10 holders do you have or use in a session in the field.

Re: How many 8x10 film holders in the field ?

Luca,
    It all depends on how far away from the car I travel. I'f I'm working close by my vehicle I'll have as many as twenty holders stashed in coolers (no ice) or other storage boxes. If there is a short hike involved IIRC I can carry six holders comfortably in my day pack (jansport equinox) or long hikes I honestly don't remember how many holders I can stuff into my Lowepro Trekker AW (I don't take many long hikes anymore.)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Remember you can also keep one holder in your camera as well as a lens reversed on its board on board your camera For down and dirty quick shots all you need are two hands--one to carry your camera and another to carry the tripod and you'll have two shots when you get there---sort of like a derringer!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

10-12 for an hour or two
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I don't find shooting 8x10 much slower than 4x5. In fact for me, the larger GG makes it easier to quickly determine the composition.

I usually back 10 to 20 holders depending. I use a 3 wheeled jogging stroller for long distance walks or hikes.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Man, you guys burn up the film! When I shoot LF, a really big day in the field might be 20 frames (10 holders worth). Maybe as many as 30, but honestly I can't remember the last time I shot that many...
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

My f.64 backpack will comfortably hold 3 in the front pouch, which is fine because my hiking range is fairly limited and I'm usually not out for more than a couple of hours at a time. I'll often have another case with a few extras back in the car, but I rarely go back for them.

I think it was Winogrand, when asked about missing pictures while he was reloading the camera, who said there aren't any pictures while he's loading the camera. Likewise, there aren't any pictures when I've used all my holders.

I usually have 3-5 in my pack, and if I have a car to go back to, maybe more in the car--up to 12 or 15 in total. If I had Mido holders, I'd carry more. I don't find 8x10" slower than 4x5", but I do shoot more judiciously, because it's not as easy to carry as much film.

i am taking a trip to the tetons and yellowstone. i am bringing all 10 of my holders. i will also have my changing bag so i can easily load more. if i plan to go on a long hike i may bring the changing bag and more film. the film and box weigh less than more holders.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I am a slow shooter most of the time -- I enjoy just looking around and being there. So a full day of photographing for me is about 5 to 6 set-ups. (I do a lot of pre-setup editing!)

I can carry 5 to 6 8x10 holders in the attached daypack of my camera pack, plus a couple more inside the pack if I know I will away from the car all day. But on the average, I have 6 holders with me.

My camera pack is a non-photo full size traveler's backpack. Inside the pack is my Zone VI 8x10, 3 to 4 lenses, darkcloth, meter...and if I am hiking back after the light has left, I also put my Reis double tilt tripod head in there, too, to lighten the pod in my hand. The pack has two fold-away side pockets...each is big enough to carry two one-quart water bottles...this is where my water and snacks for the day goes. (if there are dependable water sources, I'll take just one water bottle and a water filter.)

In the car I will have ten+ holders, besides the 6 in the pack.

Vaughn