Thread: Large file printing errors on Epson 9800 using CS2 on Intel-iMac

Large file printing errors on Epson 9800 using CS2 on Intel-iMac

I am getting a recurring program error in CS2 when printing a rather large (660 MB - 44"x65", 340dpi) file to an Epson 9800: "Could not print <file name> because of a program error." When I (miraculously) do get the file to print, the 9800 stops half-way through the job, wasting vast amounts of paper and ink.

I have read through some posts on this forum about similar issues (particularly the print program error in CS2), and the general consensus seems to be that CS2 has memory leak/management issues when running on Rosetta (I have an Intel iMac Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, running OSX 10.4.10 and CS2 9.0.2, and the latest 9800 Epson drivers, v3.5aE). Several people suggest kluges to get around the memory leak issue, I have tried most of them and failed - the only kluge that seemed to work was pressing CTRL-OPT-ESC and exiting to the finder to open another app. CS2 then stops spooling and the Epson print window opens. Then after about 40 minutes of printing the 9800 stops half-way as described above. I am guessing this is because CTRL-OPT-ESC does not really work - it may get the 9800 to start printing but the information needed to print the whole file/image size was probably aborted.

Questions for Forum Members:

1. Has anyone found a systematic and coherent way to successfully print large files from CS2 to a 9800 on an Intel Mac?

2. Is CS3 better at printing large files to the 9800?

3. Are there any good alternative apps to print large files other than RIPs?
    [Aperture? Apple Print Profile? Note I extensively use custom color profiles under CS2 color management and Epson's Adv. B&W driver routines - the quality is great and I am loathe to give those up, so I am concerned about color management compatibility.]

4. If my only option is a RIP, what is/are the most cost-quality optimal?
    [Cost is an issue, I've blown my budget on the 9800 and lots of ink/paper.]

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm essentially grounded until I get some fresh ideas.

Thanks...Susanne

[P.S. I called Epson Support and they said two things to me: (1) Your problem is too complex for us to fix, there are too many HW/SW variables (!); (2) You should reduce the memory allocated to CS2 to between 40-50%. I tried the latter (40%), and it didn't work. To be fair, Epson also suggested other possibilities: (a) Use Disk Utility to repair permissions (tried - no success); (b) Reinstall *all* your Epson drivers/SW; (c) Get a new USB cable and don't do thru a HUB; (d) Reinstall CS2. Though I haven't tried (b)-(d) I am loathe to do so until I get more ideas. BTW, Epson also said they've heard many complaints about CS3, and that users are switching back to CS2 for some tasks, though they were not specific enough to say that would affect my problem...so before I download the trial version of CS3, I'd like to get forum user feedback...]

Re: Large file printing errors on Epson 9800 using CS2 on Intel-iMac

Try reducing Photoshop's memory allocation to something like 25&#37;.

I've had similar issues with CS2 (on Windows 2000) printing large files to a Canon printer. The problem in the Win2K environment is that Photoshop doesn't use it's own memory to spool a print job. When I allocated about 70% of my memory to CS2, there wasn't enough system memory left to spool the print. The result was partial prints and lots of wasted paper. Setting Photoshop's memory allocation to 25% prior to printing a large file solved the problem for me.

Once again, my experience is with CS2 on Windows. I don't know if CS2 on Mac will have the same problem.

Hope that helps.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    Try reducing Photoshop's memory allocation to something like 25%.

I've had similar issues with CS2 (on Windows 2000) printing large files to a Canon printer. The problem in the Win2K environment is that Photoshop doesn't use it's own memory to spool a print job. When I allocated about 70% of my memory to CS2, there wasn't enough system memory left to spool the print. The result was partial prints and lots of wasted paper. Setting Photoshop's memory allocation to 25% prior to printing a large file solved the problem for me.

Once again, my experience is with CS2 on Windows. I don't know if CS2 on Mac will have the same problem.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to add more memory to the system. I would suspect 2 gig would be sufficient. The memory leak problem is a show stopper in programmers circles. I am appalled but not shocked that this type of bug is found in a high end tool.

I have a G5 with 4.5GB, but I still need to reduce the memory used by PS CS2 to about 500MB if I want to print large files.

I'd recommend getting off CS2 and getting onto CS3. CS2 was not meant for Intel Macs.

Sam -

Have you had success in printing large files from CS3 (i.e., not/never the same problems discussed here as with CS2; to any printer)? Evidence that CS3 is successful at this would make me switch instantly. However I have heard warnings from Epson and others that CS3 has/had major issues with printing to the Epson 9800. They acknowledged that Adobe is fixing CS3 problems, but Adobe never got around to fixing this major CS2 problem, so I am skeptical.

-Susanne

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    ...I have heard warnings from Epson and others that CS3 has/had major issues with printing to the Epson 9800. They acknowledged that Adobe is fixing CS3 problems, but Adobe never got around to fixing this major CS2 problem, so I am skeptical.
    Adobe may not be the most responsive company in the world, especially for customers who find bugs that don't effect the "mainstream" customers. However, they do seem to be working on printing problems with CS3. John Mack has information on this in his blog, including ways for you to test the fixes to see if they work for you. Of course, you'd already have to be running CS3. Sigh...

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    Sam -

Have you had success in printing large files from CS3 (i.e., not/never the same problems discussed here as with CS2; to any printer)? Evidence that CS3 is successful at this would make me switch instantly. However I have heard warnings from Epson and others that CS3 has/had major issues with printing to the Epson 9800. They acknowledged that Adobe is fixing CS3 problems, but Adobe never got around to fixing this major CS2 problem, so I am skeptical.

-Susanne
    I've done a couple of 30MB files with my Epson 1280. No problems as of yet. I'm running a Mac Pro 2GHz with 2GB of RAM at the moment.

Thanks to Mark and QT regarding the advice to set the memory allocations in CS2 to 25%. This did the trick for me, at least for the two large 16bit Grayscale pieces I've printed. Note before I wrote my pleas for help I set it to 30% and that didn't work...but the 25%/500MB threshold must give the system enough memory to finish the job.

I'd like to add that I found using Apple's Preview to print to first saves lots of paper and ink, before going through the actual print process. If your large file isn't going to print at all, you'll find out through Preview beforehand (get the same program errors). May sound obvious...but helps to keep in mind with CS2.

As for CS3...I'm on the fence until I get more feedback on its handling of large files (>500MB) and Adobe gets over their latest firestorms. After reading through John Nack's blog (thanks to Bruce for the link), I'm feeling pretty nauseated. The old addage...If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Memory,memory, memory. I have been printing 1.5GB and larger files (printed a 3 GB file the other day) from both CS2 and CS3 to an HP z3100. I print with no other aps open excepting PS and th printing driver and the machine I am printing from is a 2.66 GB MacPro with 7GB RAM. I hae printd many 500-600MB files from a G5 with 4GB RAM .. no problems there either, same procedure.