Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Cameras as home decoration

LF Cameras as home decoration

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I know from long experience that there are many LF cameras that rarely, if ever, leave the mantle in the living room.
    Has anyone run across a camera that had it's bellows worn out from excessive dusting and not field work?

(Bruce's quote is from the recent Chamonix thread.)

Re: LF Cameras as home decoration

I have a Rosewood Wista that sits on the bookshelves in the living room as a piece of art. I bought it about 20 years ago and have never made a negative with it. Now that I switched to 5x7 (in 1999) I doubt that it will ever be used as a camera. But it makes a very nice display as ART. My other not so pretty cameras that I don’t use stay hidden in the closet.

Jerome

I have a poor man's Deardroff that I use as a center piece in my home. It's a Raja 8x10 I believe. I even have the wood box that it came in.
    To date, I used the camera and tripod as a prop for the Photographers Fanfaire flyer.
    See the attachment.

Several years ago I had a whole-plate Daguerreian era sliding-box camera made for me by a well known manufacturer. The camera is beautiful--mahogany and brass-- with a wonderful period lens, but is not usable (poor registration, light leaks, insufficient extension, et cetera). I keep meaning to sell it, but it looks so good in the studio...

I had a Wisner 5x7 TF that could have been used for decorative reasons, but I got lucky and unloaded it to someone else who unloaded it as well.

There was a very nice looking 8x10" Deardorff that used to be perched on a mezzanine at the John Stevenson gallery. I don't know if it ever got any use.

There are a couple of Big Berthas around New York--on a high shelf at Lens and Repro and in the window at Fotocare if I remember correctly--that seem to have become decorative items, though they once were used. I think the one at Fotocare has "Daily News" stenciled on the lens barrel, with focusing stops still set for home plate and first base, no doubt.

Generally, if I'm keeping a camera out of the case, it's because I'm using it or want to have it ready to use.

I have a Voigtländer Bergheil finished in green leather with a green bellows, that unfortunately is just sitting on a shelf. I got it without a lens, though recently added a clean Rodenstock Eurynar 135mm onto it. It's actually in fully working condition and includes an adapter back for modern 4x5 holders, yet I just have not found any time to shoot with it. My more modern gear gets used more, so I doubt I will ever try out this camera . . . though it does look really nice.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Terence

David, I think Fotocare actually had TWO of them out front. I've wanted one ever since I saw the one at Len & Repro.

I routinely display some of my cameras in my living room. Half as decoration and half out of laziness.

Fatali's new gallery has his Phillips 8x10 (natural wood finish) on display. At least it did last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    I have a poor man's Deardroff that I use as a center piece in my home. It's a Raja 8x10 I believe. I even have the wood box that it came in.
    To date, I used the camera and tripod as a prop for the Photographers Fanfaire flyer.
    See the attachment.
    Robert, have you caught any flack for having the "image" on the GG upside down?

But yes, it looks like a Raja -- I had their copy of a Deardroff Special.

A camera hanging around our house -- no way! Not with a set of triplet boys (now 10 yrs old) running around...it would get "dusted" alright! LOL!

My camera's 'decorating the house' are considered clutter