Page 92 of 355 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Flowers Anyone?

Re: Flowers Anyone?

Note that a quantum mechanical pendulum gives you a central spot with a blur each side. Not common in LF situations.

My feeling is that even casual viewers of photography are very good at interpreting motion blur. It's a natural way to add gesture to a static frame, and although there is a danger of it becoming a schtick, it's a useful tool to have ready.

I sometimes let the wind shake the whole camera. The effects can be a bit centered with a wide angle (where angular blur gets bigger towards the edges) but I mostly use long lenses where the effect is even across the frame.

Funeral Bouquet, Artificial Flowers

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 FB VC, image area 24.2cm x 19.5cm, from a Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension 8x10 view camera fitted with a 400mm single meniscus lens.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Funeral Bouquet, Artificial Flowers

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 FB VC, image area 24.2cm x 19.5cm, from a Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension 8x10 view camera fitted with a 400mm single meniscus lens.
    For the Pike River miners.

David

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    For the Pike River miners.

David
    Yes; sad, soft, sombre, quiet.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Sunflower detail/Calumet C-1 8x10, 300mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N, fp4+, PMK (N) Dev., Epson 4990 Dry Scan

Beautiful tones Chris.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Chris,
    How are you scanning in the 4990 without getting Newton rings. Do you use the area guide or some sort of holder? Just curious as I struggle myself.

Matt

Thanks Jim. Matt, I do get Newtons rings laying the neg directly on the platen, but not always, it seems its hit or miss.I scanned this particular neg a couple times and one it had rings, the other not.I do have the the Scan Science wet mount kit for both 8x10 and 4x5, but I broke the 8x10 glass

Question for you, have you gotten any fogging on the inside of your 4990?I notice some fogging when shinning a bright light across my platen glass.I guess its out gassing of some sorts from some components inside the scanner.It doesn't seem to really effect the scan, at least not that I can tell (yet) Just curious.Not sure what to do about it.

Chris

Chris,
    I disassembled my 4990 and cleaned the glass after I noticed the fogging. I used a pdf on the internet that had some nice instructions for disassembly, but my link no longer works and evidently I failed to save a copy. Maybe someone here can locate the document. It was called "Disassemble of Epson Flatbed Scanners" I think.

I never seem to have newton rings when I scan emulsion side down with my 8x10 negs using the film guide.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Mine has some haze but I haven't noticed anything yet in my scans. I have been looking at cleaning mine as well but didn't want to start until I had some guidance. Maybe I'll just take it slow--can't be too complicated.