Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

I'm looking for a hard case for my car so my gear doesn't get crushed or spilled on by my family. I also want to work out of it on location. have a slew of canvas Domkes that are great to work out of, but aren't "fuggitaboutit" in the car. Anyone with a family knows how crushed and abused stuff can get on a family "vacation" (think xmas with all the presents stuffed in a too small car, packing while raining or snowing, or in North Dakota, raining while snowing). I also would like to stand on it on occasion.

I read a great post here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=stormcase

I'm considering a Storm Case im2500 (watertight, built-in trolley, ~$150 with dividers at http://www.midwestcasecompany.com/ac...torm_case.html), a Zarges 470 series 40564 (splashproof, ata cert., ~$258 $46 trolley $76 dividers = $380 at http://www.apgcases.com/zargesstore/40564a.jpg, all cases here: http://www.apgcases.com/zarges.htm), or a Rimowa Tropicana ($big bucks...$800? Watertight, built-in trolley, http://www.rimowa.de).

I had an opportunity to compare a similar size Pelican to the Storm Case, and it's not even close. The 2500 has waaay easier to use latches, and a much less wobbly trolley handle.

I am also not considering the waterproof Zarges 475 series, as the lids don't have hinges, but rather come off completely. I value convinence over absolute weather protection, as I'm not shipping my stuff, but rather want to use the case to work out of on location. If it can withstand rain, that's all I need.

The others listed in the above LF link didn't appeal to me either because they're either not hard-sided (Lightware, Tenba), seem not as good as similarly priced competitors (Zero Halliburton) or just seem not worth hunting down compared to the ones I'm considering (A&J, Amabilia, Anvil).

I guess I'm really leaning towards the Zarges 40564 or the Storm Case. The upright nature of that particular Zarges model means I wouldn't have to lay the case down to open it.

Anyone have opinions or better yet, use any of these?
    Last edited by David Carson; 8-Oct-2007 at 15:59. Reason: fixed links

Re: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

David, I have had two yellow Storm 2500's for at least five years. They have encountered every situation without a whimper - plus I use them as carry on's. I have stacked huge loads on both and the wheels and trolley handles perform flawlessly. If someone stole mine tomorrow, I would buy two new ones without hesitation.

Just a plug for Lightwares, they may be soft but they are sturdy and good protection.

The Pelicans and the Storms look almost alike. What are the things that make either one better than the other?

When I worked as a river guide I used Pelicases in various sizes for camera and video gear in the rafts and/or Kayaks, very waterproof and rigid. The porters were not in the least bit gentle with 'em, just throwing them around without any adverse outcomes.
    I liked the fact that you could lock the Peli cases using a standard padlock. Not sure if the Storms can be locked, never used them though they look much the same as the Peli's.
    Though the cost was initially a shock I would say that it was worth every Penny/dollar.

Gari

Eric, the differences between Storms and Pelicans is listed here: http://stormcase.com/FeaturesComparison.htm

For me, it was the Storm's better latches (not loud and painful on the fingers) and the stronger/stiffer trolley handle.

And yeah, you can use normal padlocks on the Storms.

I know Ellis Vener has a Zarges 475...Ellis, ever touched a 470?

Unlike the plastic cases the Rimowa Tropicana case is made from marine plywood, covered with an aluminum magnesium alloy and then has insulating foam applied to all six sides. The foam is placed between the marine plywood and the "Tub" that actually holds the contents. The "Tub" is lined with heavy duty plush Velcro on the sides and the bottom is covered with a layer of urethane foam - as is the bottom of the lid of the case. Special partitions are cut to size with the included knife. The partitions are made of a synthetic material and covered with plush heavy duty Velcro. To attach the partitions you cut the partition to size, position it where you want it with the included metal guide. Cut a piece of the included heavy duty Velcro hook material to size. Fold it in half lengthwise and apply it to the divider and the case. Do this on each side of the cut divider. Uncut dividers exactly fill the width of the case. Dividers are cut to size to sub-divide endlessly. Because of the construction of the divider material the dividers are very thin. So much more equipment will fit in to a Rimowa case then similarly sized foam filled cases. For foam to work properly 1 inch of material must be between any equipment and the sides of the case and there must be at least 1 inch of foam between each item in the case to prevent damage from items hitting each other through compression of the foam. Rimowa's inserts can not compress.

Additionally, thanks to Rimowa's unique design each case is waterproof to 67 feet yet the case does not have an "0" ring that needs to be maintained or which can lose its sealing effectivness due to extreme heat or cold. All Tropicana cases are fully insulated against heat and cold in addition the Tropicana cases will float - even when loaded with over 60 Lbs of equipment.

Bob, how exactly does the tropicana seal? Do you know where to buy them? HP Marketing used to carry them, but doesn't anymore, right? And how much do they cost? I have tried to find them online but have failed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by David Carson View Post
    Bob, how exactly does the tropicana seal? Do you know where to buy them? HP Marketing used to carry them, but doesn't anymore, right? And how much do they cost? I have tried to find them online but have failed so far.
    David,

First of all HP Marketing does carry Rimowa. Both Tropicana equipment cases and Rimowa luggage are current products and are in stock.

The Tropicana cases seal against water, dust, humidity, etc by a raised ridge that is the top edge of the "tub" pressing against the special urethane foam that the inside of the top is lined with. Once the top is closed and latched (with the two exterior case locks) the contents are immune to damage from water, dust, etc to 67'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The Tropicana cases seal against water, dust, humidity, etc by a raised ridge that is the top edge of the "tub" pressing against the special urethane foam that the inside of the top is lined with.
    Doesn't the urethane foam wear out, just as an o-ring would?