Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

Re: Hard cases: Storm Case / Zarges / Rimowa

Quote Originally Posted by PBrooks View Post
    Hello Bob, I just checked online and searched Samy's website and it came up empty for Tropicana case.
    Samy's bought 99 Rimowa cases last month including the Tropicana cases. Not everything is on a web site. Just call them or send an email and ask.

An update: I bought a Storm Case im2500. I chose it mainly because of price (~$150). It looks very tough. The think tank airport security would be nicer, and I'm sure the Rimowa would be spectacular. They're too expensive for me.

The lightware cases just didn't cut it for my needs. One interesting discovery: the two cases I was considering, the 2012 and 1420, are quite different weights. The 1420 was lighter. Lightware told me the is because they are made of different shell materials, but the rep couldn't tell me why.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Interesting that there's been no mention here of Underwater Kinetics cases. Similar to Pellican. More variety. I happen to be selling one on the B/s forum here.

Just a quick update, as I've gotten some email questions. I recently sold my Stormcase 2500, as a chemical smell of the padded insert (not the case) was bugging me. I thought it'd go away, but it didn't. Off-gassing? I don't know.

Wound up getting a lightware 2012. A little too big for me, but a solid case. Might get a 1217. A think tank roller would be nice and sturdy too. Merry Christmas!

Another quick update, on our Factory Store www.hpmarketingcorp.com we have Rimowa cases for sale and will have a special 30% off sale on them next week! That is 30% off the price on our Factory Store site.

Regardless of which manufacturer you pick in the USA the maximum external size allowed for US Airlines by the FAA is: Exterior Dimensions: 22"L x 13.81"W x 9"D (55.9 x 35.1 x 22.9 cm) larger than this and you are playing carry on roulette.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    Regardless of which manufacturer you pick in the USA the maximum external size allowed for US Airlines by the FAA is: Exterior Dimensions: 22"L x 13.81"W x 9"D (55.9 x 35.1 x 22.9 cm) larger than this and you are playing carry on roulette.
    While there are printed maximum sizes for carry-on there are many exceptions also. Some airlines allow larger cases then others and some commuter airlines use planes whose overhead won't hold a briefcase. Check the carry-on sizes that your specific airline allows. It is listed in the baggage section on their web site. Don't be surprised.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The Calumet cases are a real bargain. They are pretty much the same as the Pelican and probably made by the same manufacturer the difference being a slightly different exterior look (the Calumet being optimized for adding metal straps and permitting locks to be placed on the opening) and slightly larger internal dimension for the calumet so you can't exchange foams. Of course they are watertight, dust-proof, crush-proof... etc., and stack for traveling. In my opinion they would make an ideal storage case for airline travel.

I keep my LF and MF cameras in Hakuba and Toyo aluminum cases for traveling by auto. If you drop them in a lake they are going straight to the bottom adding water as they go but the neat thing that I like about the aluminum case is that the metal keeps the contents cool. I'm a ways away from my physics courses but I believe it has something to do with the electron distribution on the exterior surface of a metal. If I take the case from a cool interior and place it in the rear trunk and then drive in a warm climate, the camera and lens are still cool when I transfer them to the pack. Conversely, if the metal is hot it will tend to stay hot so don't put them in the sun.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The Calumet cases are a real bargain. They are pretty much the same as the Pelican and probably made by the same manufacture Thomas
    Calumet cases are not made by Pelican. The cases are Italian GT cases.
    "GTLINE Italy (www.gtline.com) is the european leading company in the manufacturing of technical cases, manufacturing in Bologna, Italy, since 1970."