Thread: New Website - Return to LF

New Website - Return to LF

Hi everyone.

I haven't shot any LF for the last 2 or 3 years, and I'm going through withdrawals. I recently hired someone to create a website for me. It's not the most sophisticated website in the world, but it serves my needs for now.

My recent hiatus from shooting LF is a direct result of my having purchased a Canon EOS-5D about 3 years ago. I love the camera and have found that I am able to produce excellent images up to 16x24. Anything larger than that and the image degradation becomes apparent when compared to my LF images.

Anyway, please feel free to check out my website if you feel so inclined. The URL is:

www.dougmeek.com

Flame away - I have thick skin.

Doug

Re: New Website - Return to LF

The only thing obvious is that you say Large Format Landscape Photography, but some of the images are not that.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

I've only skimmed the site quickly but the photographs look very good. My only comment about the site itself is that when I click on "Galleries" the first time nothing happens, the same page just reloads. I have to click on "Galleries" a second time to see any galleries actually listed. Not that I mind the effort of a second click but I'm not sure everyone would try a second time, they might just think the link to the galleries wasn't working when the gallery lists don't come up with the first click. And when the gallerys do come up I just see numbers one through four. It would be nice if they were described by gallery content rather than a number. Otherwise I thought it was a very attractive and well designed web site.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Paul / Brian,

Thanks for the comments, and for taking the time to offer your criticism. Points taken, and I will make the necessary changes. The only reason that I have the term "Large Format" in the home page title is because 90% of the shots are indeed large format. However, that still leaves 10% which are not large format, so the title is misleading.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,
    Doug Meek

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    The only thing obvious is that you say Large Format Landscape Photography, but some of the images are not that.
    How can you tell? Or did I miss something?

I like the images, great locations and exposures!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Doug,

Nice photos but the site has some issues...

* There is just a ton of ugly code and tables to generate the home page.
    * A white box appears while the Flash graphic loads. Maybe just use an image?
    * Clicking on the galleries button does nothing.
    * I think your thumbnails are too large. When you click on a thumbnail the photo will open in a fresh page which a lot of people really hate. You also provide three different sizes of the same photo? Showing large files will provide people with good "usage" of your images.
    * The yellow text on the mottled background is hard to read.
    * I would make your top logo into a link back to the home page.

Again, nice pictures...

Max

Cool. I enjoyed your site---it was easy to navigate and the colors used offered good contrast without being distracting. Good work!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White