Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feisol and/or Benro fibre tripods and heads??? Any good for large format

Re: Feisol and/or Benro fibre tripods and heads??? Any good for large format

There are plenty of happy Feisol users here, but I would comment on the Benro a bit. I have the M-227 model (copy of Gitzo 1227 with anti-rotation leg joints) and use it with my Tachihara up to 400/8 tele where the camera itself is getting to its limits. I would say that the tripod is sturdy enough, but gives a a bit of "fragile" feeling - indeed - I unmounted one of the legs at its jont and inside are a few small thin plastic pieces that hold the thing together. But still I have used it cca 1 year and it does the job.

I would be temped by one of the smaller Feisol models now, but a tripod is not the priority right now.

For the head - I have seen HERE alarming review of one of the Benro ball heads and would keep my hands away from it. I use old Linhof 3-D pan-tilt head as I found ballhead harder to adjust with large format camera.

Hope it hepls
    Matus

Matus, thanks for the info on the Benro heads and your experiences with the tripod as well. Did you buy yours in Germany through Dr.Lang or did you order it directly?

Regards
    Heinrich

I use the Feisol CT-3301 and a Really Right Stuff head (sorry, I don't remember the model designation and it isn't on the head but it's the middle one of the three sizes they make IIRC). I use the Feisol mainly with a Canon 5D camera, which probably weighs roughly the same or maybe even more than your Mamiya. I've been very happy with the Feisol. My other tripod is a Gitzo 1325 and of course the Feisol is much lighter and easier to carry on hikes. The collars are designed better than the Gitzo's IMHO and are much easier on the hands (I understand that on the newer Gitzos the collars have been redesigned). The Feisol also comes with padded upper legs, which I've learned to appreciate in the cold, and a carrying bag (too flimsy for airline travel but nice to protect the tripod from damage when toting it around in a car). It also has a hook under the base from which some camera bags could be hung for added stability if needed. Mine arrived from Taiwan in about four days and cost $210 including shipping.

The CT-3301 doesn't have a center column and I kind of regret not buying the version that does because the CT-3301 is a little shorter than I would like (I'm 5' 11") with the Canon. The model with the center column is somewhat longer than mine IIRC and of course the center column would give even more height is necessary. I also wouldn't want to use the Feisol in a strong wind, I don't think it would be sufficiently stable, at least not without hanging something from the hook. Subject to those two qualifications I'm very pleased with the Feisol.

I've tried my Tachihara 4x5 camera (4 lbs without lens) on the Feisol and I think it would work fine, again as long as there wasn't a strong wind.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    For the head - I have seen HERE alarming review of one of the Benro ball heads and would keep my hands away from it. I use old Linhof 3-D pan-tilt head as I found ballhead harder to adjust with large format
    Hi Heinrich

I have a Benro KS-1 head. It is a nice ball head, but way overrated in many forums. It does shift, when locked down and the tension adjustment is not really convincing. I had a real headache, when I mounted it on my small Manfrotto 055 tripod. Manfrotto uses small hidden screws, which grip into any head to prevent slippage. Ths bottom plate of the Benro is so soft and thin, that I bent it with the set screw and couldn't rotate the Benro head anymore. This is no good. I loosend the set screws and there is no lasting damage on the head. It is nevertheless a nice and totally useable head for smaller equipment. But I wouldn't use it with LF gear or really heavy lenses on smaller formats. I guess even the old pentacon 5.6/500 with a heavy camera body attached is too much for the benro, even if the officially weight capacity seems to offer plenty of room.

regards (besten Gruß)
    René

Uff, I just read the KS-2 review linke too, by Matus. I can honestly say, that the KS-1 I have is by far not as bad. The materials used are all Aluminium, which is sure not as robust as steel. But the machining is much better and the "press-fitted" parts which connect the quick release plate with the ball is also held into place by epoxy. And seriously: If we can use airplanes glued together, why not a ball head? I disassembled the KS-1 completely, as I removed the quick release plate and mounted a Manfrotto RC0 (the hexagonals) plate instead, as I use these on all my equipment, so I really had a good look into the ball head.

It is not as nicely made as Novoflex and others, but for the price can hardly be beaten. If you don't go anywhere near the official load capacity, but stay within sensible limits, it is completely useable - indeed better than the two Linhof ball heads I also have. The severest problem I found is the neding bottom plate, which needs careful mounting onto a tripod.

regards
    René