Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Will the world ever have the Digital Equivalent of the Analog LF Camera??

Re: Will the world ever have the Digital Equivalent of the Analog LF Camera??

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    You beat me to it. I was going to link to your post.

I suspect that the digital telescope noted above was not the first. NASA'a Hubble telescope was most likely the first. Clearly, we have put a man on the moon, but that does not mean we can make a vehicle that the average world citizen can afford that would permit him to drive to the moon.

Its not that a LF digital camera cannot be built, but rather can an affordable cost-effective solution be realized for the average LF photographer in the field. I doubt that will ever happen. Even if someone did, I do not believe it could compete with the virtues of film.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    I suspect that the digital telescope noted above was not the first. NASA'a Hubble telescope was most likely the first. Clearly, we have put a man on the moon, but that does not mean we can make a vehicle that the average world citizen can afford that would permit him to drive to the moon.

Its not that a LF digital camera cannot be built, but rather can an affordable cost-effective solution be realized for the average LF photographer in the field. I doubt that will ever happen. Even if someone did, I do not believe it could compete with the virtues of film.
    Making technology predictions is a great and easy way to get oneself into a distinguished company:

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    -- Popular Mechanics magazine, 1949

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
    -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"But what...is it good for?"
    -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM commenting on the microchip, 1968

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    -- Attributed to Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of the country, and have talked with the best people in business administration. I can assure you on the highest authority that data processing is a fad and won't last out the year."
    -- Editor in charge of business books at Prentice-Hall, 1957

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    -- Attributed to Bill Gates, 1981

"It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years."
    -- John Von Neumann, 1949