Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pleased To Meet Ya

Pleased To Meet Ya

Hi

I spent the 1980's completely immersed in photography, primarily LF. Besides my personal fave-love of B & W 'classic' contact printing, I also did a lot of commercial work, in all formats.

What I learned from the commercial work is that photography quit being fun and became just more 'work.' So I quit doing photography professionally.

But I always wanted to someday get back into LF, when circumstances permitted, using the simplest approach possible, a 'labor of love'. Just do it for myself, not for money.

About a year ago at a flea market I found an old Korona VII folding-out-of-a-box 4 x 5 camera. It weighs almost nothing. I'm stripping the leather to reveal the nice wood underneath, which I'll finish (varnish, french-polish or oil) to match the lovely interior wood. It came with a lens--probably RR or early anastigmat, seems convertible, in a brass 'TBI' style shutter with air-cylinder shutter mechanism. I've also jerry-rigged a 127 ektar from a Crown Graphic on it, and that may become it's primary lens. The camera has a spring back. I'm 'modernizing' it--making sure the GG focus matches modern filmholder specs, etc.

My intention is to use it for simple portraits, landscapes and 'LF street photography,' where shifts & bellows extension aren't needed.

I also have a Crown Graphic, but TOO heavy & limited for what I need beyond the Korona. So I'll sell/trade it and get:

1. a basic 5 x 7 (eastman 2-d, korona etc.) field camera, for when movements & longer bellows are desired.

AND/OR:

2. a 5 x 7 version of my little Korona folding-box camera (premo etc.). I love these 'LF in a box" things and they're easy to find. Also easy to repair, modify, maintain.

I'm also interested in building wood LF field cameras from parts and/or scratch or a combination thereof.

For the last 20 years I've made my living from painting...paintings, not houses! ....and also from music, mainly 'old time' style music. I've built two fiddles so making a simple wooden field camera doesn't seem so daunting!

I found this forum a few days ago via web-surfing and have enjoyed wading the archives. Lots of info, good ideas, wit, links. people--and some really nice photos too!

Due to both budget and inclination, I'm a fan of cheapo, found-at-the-flea-market older lenses, cameras and related what-not. in the past I owned several such lenses which made good images. Early Dagors, Protars, RR's, Turner-Reich etc.

So I guess I'll be hunting down them darn things again!

I plan to contact-print 4x5 & 5x7 b&w. I'm Interested in using litho film in-camera and developed for continuous-tone (I used to do graphic-arts darkroom work, so am familar with all the possibilities) and also various alternative processes.

I live in New Jersey, along the Delaware river, about 30 miles north of Philadelphia.

Some random fave photographers: Walker Evans/J. Sudek/George Tice/Berenice Abbott/W. Christenberry/Atget/Avedon's western LF portraits/J. Meyerowitz/S. Shore....many many more.

Jane
    Last edited by janepaints; 7-Oct-2007 at 00:06. Reason: typos.

Re: Pleased To Meet Ya

Welcome, Jane. This is a great community of photographers - still the best I've found in ten or more years being an online forum junkie. I hope you find this site and the people here as helpful as I and so many others have.

wfwhitaker

Hi Jane and welcome. I think you'll find some similar interests here. It sounds like you have a lot of experience of your own to share.

Some of your comments struck a personal chord. For one, I never pursued photography commercially for the same reason you left it. And, like you, I've found there are some neat old cameras out there which with a little work and ingenuity can be made to work very well with modern materials. I have a nice little Rochester Universal 5x7 which I modified to take Technika lensboards. At 3 1/2 pounds, it travels well. I also have an "LF in a box" old Conley 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 self-casing camera which has had its crusty old leather removed so it can be refinished into a working camera. The danger is that the projects get in the way of taking photographs!

Welcome Jane! I am familiar where you are from as I grew up in South Jersey along the Delaware for a while. This LF Community is the most informative and polite out there. It is always nice to welcome a fellow female.

Kind Regards,
    Darr

Jane, welcome from the U.K. I'm sure that many of us will benefit from your experience. You're musical tastes sound good as well. I drove to London on Thursday to see The Old Crow Medicine Show and it was the best gig I'd been to for years. Keep fiddlin'.
    Pete.

Welcome to the forum, Jane.

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum. You can't be too far from where I live.
    I'm also shooting about the same way you are...contact printing 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10. I also do a little bit of med format work but the sheet film is where I spend most of my time.

If you're looking to set up a darkroom you need to go see Le Camera on route 1 near West Windsor/Princeton/Lawrenceville. They recently moved and are now in the shopping center where Wegmans/Target/Home Depot are. Lot's of used darkroom stuff (trays, timers, etc.) for great prices.

Alan.

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome from Coquitlam, BC, Canada!