Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Inkjet B&W compared to traditional B&W?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Inkjet B&W compared to traditional B&W?

I'd concur that at least with the process that I use, inkjet is more similar to PT/PD than to gelatin silver. Partly because of the long, straight line section of the curve (actually longer with ink, if you want it to be) and partly because of the finish of the watercolor-style papers you usually print on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    "I have seen (the details are in that post) an exhibit at the Eastman House that convinced me the only purpose Platinum Printing serves is to waste my money!"

It could easily be that your skill is the defining factor in 'waste my money' and that pt/pd printing by those who are good at is is worth every penny.
    For one reason or another, I have been seeing a lot of platinum prints recently many of them vintage and some contemporary by those such as Arentz and others.

while they do have a very lovely look to most of them, the majority actually look very much like fairly average inkjet prints. And the good inkjet prints by today's best printers on cotton rag paper often tend to look like superb platinum prints
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hilker View Post

Maybe it's best summed up in the old fisherman's comment that, "it's not the fish -- it's the fishin'" that really counts!
    yup, what dick said!

i have no printer, almost zero knowledge skills and abilities for computers and PS so i guess i am stuck. now i am going to turn on the red light andgetto work........
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

the fishing does need to be rewarding, but in this case, the prints themselves (the fish) must be the reason. If they don't excel I'll alter the methods and material (the fishin I suppose).
    These mono ink prints on beautiful paper present my images in a way only this process can provide. I was never able to achieve this in the darkroom. For others, silver may still be the way.
    We have to gravitate to activities and materials we have some affinity for, or we won't get the work done, or it won't excel.
    I gotta have these prints, or what comes next that's even better. I've done years of silver, platinum, etc.. I'm so thrilled with this process.
    If I want to enjoy fishing, I'll go fishing.
    Tyler

{yawn} It is clear that great results are possible with a variety of analog and digital methods. And they all have their own attributes that make them different and similar to others. And different people will be drawn to different methods that appeal to them. That's a good thing. It's too bad that this always has to degenerate into a 'mine's better than your's" discussion. Do oil painters and pastel artists argue about whose medium is better? Can't we all just get along?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Do oil painters and pastel artists argue about whose medium is better?
    well ... i wouldn't bet against it.

It's much easier for most of us ordinary/average/irregular darkroom printers to get a really good B&W print with an inkjet, than the B&W that we can turn out with conventional silver papers. And finding suitable silver papers are getting a lot worse.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    {yawn}...

So, you were expecting this particular thread to be the next Bourne thrill ride?
    Tyler

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i recognize that for a lot of people who are skeptical of the quality of b+w ink prints, it's not a matter of religious fervor ... they just haven't had the opportunity to see good ones yet.

it makes sense. the process has only been refined for a little while, and there are aren't as many people who have mastered it as there are people who have mastered silver printing. i'd just encourage everyone to keep an open mind. the process might never become your favorite, i promise you'll be impressed by what it can accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    i recognize that for a lot of people who are skeptical of the quality of b+w ink prints, it's not a matter of religious fervor ... they just haven't had the opportunity to see good ones yet.
    I've seen the latest inkjet prints and they are outstanding. In fact, I have been printing inkjets for several years now.

This reminds me just how many people have a severe case of foot and mouth disease. I recall having a 'conversation' with someone who after I merely told them I like shooting my old fashioned Hasselblad, he went on and on about how his digital this and that was better than orgasms and how I should 'see the light', and on and on. I didn't bother telling him about my Mac G5, Nikon D2X, Epson etc... or my Holga for that matter! I just told him, he was right and smiled. Anyway, it's the new ignorance.

Regards, Art.