Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240 F5.6 SIRONAR-N MC Feedback

240 F5.6 SIRONAR-N MC Feedback

Can anyone provide any feedback in using the Sironar N 240mm on their 8x10 camera?

I've got the specs on it from the lens spec page (http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html) but would like some personal feedback. Thanks...

Shailendra

Re: 240 F5.6 SIRONAR-N MC Feedback

I can't speak about the Sinornar, but I love the 240mm focal length on my 8x10, especially for full length portraiture. My lens is of another manufacturer who stopped making LF lenses a couple of years ago.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I have used it for landscape photography on a Calumet C1 (and for 4x5) and it is a sharp lens. I mainly use it at f22.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Hello there,

I loved the 240N as a portrait lens on 4x5 and I actually shot 8x10 with it too. The picture quality is fantastic but it does not allow you but very little movement on 8x10. I would even say, too little even for landscape. I sold the lens for that reason. I tend to use a lot of movement I guess, since I fince the 300N also a little bit scarce in coverage in 8x10. I ´m happy with a 300s and use a 210s when I need more angle, but then I know that I have to shoot absolutely straight.

JJ

Hi JJ,

I'm surprised that this lens does not have adequate coverage for 8x10. From the spec sheet below, it should be enough, no?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Viau View Post
    Hello there,

I loved the 240N as a portrait lens on 4x5 and I actually shot 8x10 with it too. The picture quality is fantastic but it does not allow you but very little movement on 8x10. I would even say, too little even for landscape. I sold the lens for that reason. I tend to use a lot of movement I guess, since I fince the 300N also a little bit scarce in coverage in 8x10. I ´m happy with a 300s and use a 210s when I need more angle, but then I know that I have to shoot absolutely straight.

JJ
    The 240N had 28mm of shift and 23mm of rise at infinity at f22 on 810.

I used one for a while, in it's Caltar IIN label (same lens.) I liked it quite a bit -- I don't understand JJ's comment about lack of movements: I had plenty for landscape and such. I never tried to tie the bellows into a knot but I was using it on a B&J monorail, so the camera had the opportunity for plenty of movements.

I thought that the lens was sharp and contrasty: I liked it quite a bit. In fact, I regret selling it and when I have some money I'll buy one (I'm getting a 19" first, though.)

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I had the opportunity to test the 240 Apo-Sironar-N (same lens). It's a very fine lens, with excellent performance in the plane of focus and generally pleasing OOF character. But for my taste the coverage is a bit tight for 8x10 - I tend to want to use a fair amount of front rise with a wide lens on such a square format, and I often found myself running out of coverage with the N.

I ended up buying the 240 Apo-Sironar-S instead. The only real drawback of the S is that it's much more expensive, and not often seen used. If you can afford the S I'd recommend it over the N for use on 8x10. If you can't, the N is a very nice lens too, and is certainly usable on 8x10; just be aware of the coverage limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I had the opportunity to test the 240 Apo-Sironar-N (same lens). It's a very fine lens, with excellent performance in the plane of focus and generally pleasing OOF character. But for my taste the coverage is a bit tight for 8x10 - I tend to want to use a fair amount of front rise with a wide lens on such a square format, and I often found myself running out of coverage with the N.

I ended up buying the 240 Apo-Sironar-S instead. The only real drawback of the S is that it's much more expensive, and not often seen used. If you can afford the S I'd recommend it over the N for use on 8x10. If you can't, the N is a very nice lens too, and is certainly usable on 8x10; just be aware of the coverage limitations.
    Is there a reasonably priced 240mm lens that you would recommend that would provide better movent?

As Oren said, the lens is fine but too limited for my style of using a view camera. As for the 240 length on 8x10, it is as limited (or not accroding to tastes, habits, etc..) as 135mm on 4x5". As far as modern lenses are concerned, I would only consider the 240S. For vintage lenses I have to pass but there seem to be older mono coated Fuji or Kodak 250mm that would fit the bill.

JJ