Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford HP-5 4x5 with wrong dimensions

Ilford HP-5 4x5 with wrong dimensions

Earlier this year I took delivery of three boxes of mispackaged HP-5 -- the middle box had been inverted so it didn't form the tradtional double light-tight seal. No problems with the film but it was disconcerting to think that they would let that slip by. I wrote to Ilford and they asked for the batch numbers, but later in the Summer I got another batch of film with the same funky packaging.

But this is even stranger... when I was loading film into holders from the latest batch, I noticed the end of the film hit the holder a little different... but I shot it anyway and it was fine -- except Ilford cut the film about 6mm shorter on the long end!

It worked fine but....

I might have to go back to Tri-X, which had its own issues... I want to support Ilford but damn, that is just plain lousy quality control.

Re: Ilford HP-5 4x5 with wrong dimensions

What issues have you had with the Tri-X, Frank?

Ilford (Harman) will often replace film at no charge when there is a manufacturing error. The elves that used to jump into the boxes to verify dimensions and such all went to work for Keebler during Ilford's receivorship.

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I want to support Ilford but damn, that is just plain lousy quality control.
    Frank,

I am sorry that you are having problems with HP-5. This year, I have gone through many many boxes of 5x7 HP-5 without any problems at all. So I think you've just had very bad luck. I would not hesitate to support Ilford. They are about the only company interested in the future of b&w film; and, in my experience at least, their quality control is fine.

unfortunately this kind of problem seems to have been occurring more frequently in the last year or so, which makes me wonder what it's indicative off?

I had a problem with thumb prints and marks on 8x10 FP4 (which was never properly addressed by Ilford - their rep just never got back to me)

And following that, I got a number of comments from others with similar (and different) problems - including both the problems Frank mentions

a. Film improperly boxed from the manufacturer

b. Film cut to incorrect size

I must say, before the Ilford shakeup I used their products for years and never came across any of these kinds of problems at all
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Maybe it's indicative of the fact that they've been offering sheet film in more sizes lately, so now there is a greater probability of error from resetting equipment than there used to be.

Either that or you ordered 4x5" and accidentally received a box of 5x4" that was designated for the British market.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Either that or you ordered 4x5" and accidentally received a box of 5x4" that was designated for the British market.
    The Brits are a odd kind.....

Morten :-)

The reason I switched to HP-5 was to support Illford, which appeared to be making a commitment to B&W photography. Now I am not sure what I'll buy next.

I never had a QC problem with Kodak film, ever, in over 20 years. As for Tri-X, my only issue with it is that I can never figure out the diference between Tri-X Pro and regualr Tri-X (when I used roll film) and how Kodak would often make changes to its characteristics without warning.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I actually make a point of keeping both sizes - 4x5 and 5x4 - on hand at all times; the 4x5 gets used for vertical shots (portrait orientation), the 5x4 is for horizonatal shots (landscape orientation).

Smart move, Brian. I do the same, as well as having both 8x10 and 10x8.