Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North Cascades National Park

Re: North Cascades National Park

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chase View Post
    , it was my old stomping grounds when I was in the scouts about a decade ago.

Ben
    Thanks for making me feel old Ben. ( 5 decades for me ) Had a great time when we went out shooting. Weather isn't looking too promising though for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    Thanks for making me feel old Ben. ( 5 decades for me ) Had a great time when we went out shooting. Weather isn't looking too promising though for this weekend.
    It was 33 degrees at my house this morning and my windows were iced over. Snow's comin...and comin before I expected this year out here. Although it's going to be nasty this weekend probably with rain/fog.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    kirk, you totally lost me on that reply, too.
    OK - no Monty Python fans here then... They were a few quotes from the first season episode called, oddly enough, "How to recognise different types of trees from quite a long way away" in which an old colour lantern slide of a Larch is promently featured.

It's actually a classis episode as it also has the skits of Superman as a bicycle repairman, in a world of Supermen that can't actually fix bicycles, the restuarant sketch where several of the staff commit suicide over the shame of a dirty fork, and perhaps one of the ultimate Monty Python skits, "Nudge nudge".

Although I'm not much on biology or botany, the Larix laricina is the Tamarack Larch or American Larch. It is a different tree than the one found in the North Cascades. The American larch is not found in the western US, but can be found across the NE and Great Lakes states and on up into much of eastern and north central Canada.

The Larix lyallii, Subalpine Larch, is actually what is shown in Paul's photo. The subalpine larch doesn't grow very tall and is found at the treeline in the North Cascades, Okanogan, Northern US Rockies and Southern Canadian Rockies.

At lower elevations in Washington and Oregon Cascades, Blues, and Wallowa mountains as well as some of the Rockies, Larix occidentalis, the Western Larch, can be found. Much larger tree than the subalpine.

My wife's a gardener and used to work for a timber company so I've picked up info on a few of the western trees.

Anyway, back to photography. Say no more!

Norman (leers, grinning) Your wife interested in er... (waggles head, leans across) photographs, eh? Know what I mean? Photographs, 'he asked him knowingly'.
    Him Photography?
    Norman Yes. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more?
    Him Holiday snaps?
    Norman Could be, could be taken on holiday. Could be yes - swimming costumes. Know what I mean. Candid photography. Know what I mean, nudge nudge.
    Him No, no we don't have a camera.
    Norman Oh. Still (slaps hands lightly twice) Woah! Eh? Wo-oah! Eh?
    Him Look, are you insinuating something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Norman (leers, grinning) Your wife interested in er... (waggles head, leans across) photographs, eh? Know what I mean? Photographs, 'he asked him knowingly'.
    Him Photography?
    Norman Yes. Nudge nudge. Snap snap. Grin grin, wink wink, say no more?
    Him Holiday snaps?
    Norman Could be, could be taken on holiday. Could be yes - swimming costumes. Know what I mean. Candid photography. Know what I mean, nudge nudge.
    Him No, no we don't have a camera.
    Norman Oh. Still (slaps hands lightly twice) Woah! Eh? Wo-oah! Eh?
    Him Look, are you insinuating something?
    kirk, it's WAY to early in the pnw winter for you to be exhibiting cabin fever to this degree. i'll have to drag you to the alvord for some sun ASAP!

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat

Yeah, Scott, I guess that's it. I didn't get out for my usual fall photo trip to the Colorado Plateau... Actually, let's get together and finally meet face to face sometime soon! I'd love to see you work first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Yeah, Scott, I guess that's it. I didn't get out for my usual fall photo trip to the Colorado Plateau... Actually, let's get together and finally meet face to face sometime soon! I'd love to see you work first hand.
    anytime my friend! last weekend i made it up to mount rainier on friday, got snowed on, which would have been fine except it was so sacked in that you couldn't see the mountian, so made my way to proxy falls on sunday. i've been doing my part to keep fuji and ilford in business!

sheldon and i have been out shooting several times recently. we'll all have to get together real soon. the leaves in the gorge are getting very nice...

Kirk-
    You must cut down the largest Tamrack in the forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiith...... (suspenseful music)...... A HERRING!!!

I'm embarrased. Being a MP fan, I didn't recognize the skit. My bad. Now, if I weigh the same as a duck, I'll have to be burned!

And, now I know more about Larch's than I've ever known before.

PS - you probably know this, but if you're an MP fan, you must see Fawlty Towers episodes. Warning though, empty your bladder first before watching.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    sheldon and i have been out shooting several times recently. we'll all have to get together real soon. the leaves in the gorge are getting very nice...
    Scott - let's shoot for the end of this month. I usally find the week about Halloween to be the peak. Keep in touch - let's use to fa message server to keep Sheldon and any other locals in.

Scott - you should come to the Photographers Fanfare on the first weekend of Nov. It was really good last year. Well worth attending all 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    PS - you probably know this, but if you're an MP fan, you must see Fawlty Towers episodes. Warning though, empty your bladder first before watching.
    Paul, Yes - I've seen FT, but not to the extent of MP. Cleese is great. (BTW, he did the narration on the larch bit.)