Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Cascades National Park

North Cascades National Park

hey guys,

i'm planning on heading up to north cascades national park from 5-october - 7-october. i just called the park and they said conditions were nice and the colors were coming along.

have any of you been up there recently? care to comment on the fall color? got any suggestions for aa first time visitor re: places to shoot?

thanks,

Re: North Cascades National Park

Harts Pass, out of Mazama. I haven't been up there this year (yet), but there are Tamracs (but there have also been fires). You should call back the ranger station and ask if they've started to turn, might still be early. Pics are from the Pacific Crest trail that leaves from the campround at the pass. Sorry for the crappy scans from work scanner.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

How far from I5 is the main park area? Is there RV camping up there?

Dave Karp

Looks like a great trip! Have fun.

I drove by the cut off yesterday on I5 and it was raining but in better weather it looks like fun. I have never been to the park and like you wonder what is there to photograph.

Scott -

We went there last October 5th to 10th. Since we had our 6 month old baby with us, we didn't go very far. I don't remember much "fall color", but the Okanogan Valley to the east side of the park is supposed to have some good stands of aspens.

We stayed in Marblemount at a place that is a religious retreat with nice, inexpensive cabins and drove the road in every day. I think this was the first National Park I went to that we didn't actually go into the actual park. The highway is not in the park, and the places we hiked were on the wrong side of the summits to actually be in the park. Oh well.

So we tried Liberty Bell Mountain trail in the Mt. Baker/ Snoqualmie Nation Forest - we didn't quite make it to the lake there as had not dressed the baby quite well enough. I made it within a few hundred yards of the lake there and it looked quite good. We also went to Lake Ann - and that was good too. Here's a shot of the Mrs. and baby on the trail in:

Also, we went to Mt. Shuksan - a very cool mountain. I did the standard reflection shot of the mountain in the lake down at the ski area.

Well, there's a lot of cool looking hikes there if you can go more than a few miles and climb a thousand feet or so. It looks like there should be fresh snow there right now which should last for you this weekend.

Kirk

The Larch

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    I haven't been up there this year (yet), but there are Tamracs (but there have also been fires).
    Voice Over 'EPISODE 12B'
    'HOW TO RECOGNISE DIFFERENT TREES FROM QUITE A LONG WAY AWAY'
    'NO. 1'
    'THE LARCH'

I think the closest tamaracks get to the North Cascades is the Canadian Shield.

Voice Over 'AND NOW'
    'NO. 1'
    'THE LARCH'
    (Picture of a larch tree.)
    Voice Over 'THE LARCH'
    Voice Over (and CAPTIONS)
    'AND NOW'
    'NO. 3'
    'THE LARCH'
    'AND NOW...'

Kirk-Huh? Sheez. Ok, how's Tamarack? The name Tamarack is the Algonquian Native American name for the species. Larix laricina if that's better. Larch if you prefer.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

kirk, you totally lost me on that reply, too.

thanks for the info, fellas... looks like weather is going to be an issue for this weekend. maybe next...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post
    kirk, you totally lost me on that reply, too.

thanks for the info, fellas... looks like weather is going to be an issue for this weekend. maybe next...
    Lots of nice clouds out here in Eastern WA, with sunbreaks, I'm almost tempted to go out and shoot this weekend if it wasn't for the homework in my MBA program.

I need to get back out to the North Cascades, it was my old stomping grounds when I was in the scouts about a decade ago.

Ben