Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 / Epson 4990

Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 / Epson 4990

Hello,

Does anybody has experience with a heidelberg 1450? Can you recommend it? I mean is it worth buying this scanner in 2007 or is a scanner like the epson 4990 a better decision?
    I would use it for 6x6 slides.
    Maybe somebody can show me a scan....
    thanx
    Mark from europe

Re: Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 / Epson 4990

A few issues with the older Heidelberg and Linotype scanners are software and SCSI connection. While there are ways to get a SCSI scanner connection to work through a Ratoc FR1SX, this is not easy to set-up. The older software will work under Mac OS 9, though newer SilverFast can get you going in Mac OS X. So price a converter, or older Macintosh into the purchase, and possibly plan on buying software.

Some of the Linotype scanners were made by UMAX, though software, firmware, and quality control were often different, sometimes better. If you buy through a reseller/refurbisher like MPG Systems, you might find a UMAX PowerLook III to be very similar to a Heidelberg/Linotype 1400. The 1450 changed to a FireWire connector, which would negate the need for a Ratoc adapter. Unfortunately, the older Linocolor software will not run in Classic mode in Mac OS X, even with a direct FireWire connection to the computer.

You can look at the front page for this Forum and Large Format website to find a collaborative scanner comparison. In that you will find a UMAX PowerLook III example. Take a look at the shadow details and colour range on the examples, then compare to the Epson scanners on the list. The true resolution capability (not file sizes) is similar, though it does seem the older scanner does slightly better with colour . . . honestly it is very tough to tell with JPEG comparison images.

Unless you buy from a reseller with a warranty, you could be stuck with an older Linotype. Very few places work on these, and parts are somewhat limited. They do seem to be much better made than Epson scanners, and have much better lenses, but when buying used you could end up with a scanner that does not work that great.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I assume you mean the Linoscan 1450. I own a 4990 and used to own a Linoscan, I think it was the 1450. It's now an old scanner that Heidelberg discontinued at least five or six years ago, maybe longer. Heidelberg provides no technical or parts support for the Linoscans and I believe the 1450 is SCSI only. Heidelberg ignored my requests for help when mine went on the blink for the second or third time. The software that came with it was pretty nice but created a lot of problems that weren't solved until I switched to Vuescan. There's no way I'd buy one today in preference to the 4990.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry, when I said "I assume you mean the Linoscan 1450" I was looking at the body of your message in which you called it a Heidelberg 1450, I didn't notice the reference to Linoscan in the subject line. Also didn't notice that you're in Europe. Maybe tech support for the Linoscans is better there than in the U.S. but I still wouldn't buy one in preference to the 4990.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

thanks,

i forgot to say that it is a brand new one (a backup scanner from a company).
    I`m pretty sure that it also has firewire connection.
    (sometimes its called linoscan 1450 sometimes heidelberg 1450-but its the same scanner)
    www.hamrick.com says that vuescan supports the 1450...

Since it is a brand new, or little used, scanner, I think you are at least starting off at a good point. Vuescan is not bad software at all, and definitely a low cost approach. There is a low cost version of SilverFast too, though for Heidelberg/Linotype/Linoscan scanners their full version software is fairly expensive.

I would say go for it, and you should be quite happy with that 1450. The dynamic range on that model is quite good, and should allow capturing most information on most large format film. You might also look into the Prazio starter kit for doing wet mount scanning, which makes a subtle but noticeable difference in scans.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

If you only want to scan 6x6 you might be better off with a Nikon 9000.

Ron is right about being better off with the Nikon for 6x6. As for the 1450, it all depends on the price. Five years ago they were selling in the used market for ~ $600 so they really shouldn't be more than 100 or so today. It was a decent scanner in its day but not really as good as any of today's consumer scanners. I'd go with a 4990 which can be had in the US for 269 refurbished from Epson.

I can get the new 1450 for 250€ and a new 4990 for 350€.
    Maybe i should go with the 4990....

It's an awesome scanner! It's an order of magnitude in quality above the others you mention IMO - either the lino software or silverfast will work great. it was also far more expensive. Linotronic/Heidelberg bought the basic chassis and engine from UMAX and replaced all the important stuff (like the cables and shielding, power supply and motors) with much higher grade stuff. Everything on my website was scanned from negs and chromes with this scanner.