Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Getting it on the airlines

Re: Getting it on the airlines

I've always wanted to get it on the airlines... don't we all?

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    For what it is worth, the Photobackpacker P3 backpack will arrive at the beginning of August. While it is the same size as the P1 and P2, the Granite Gear Air Current suspension is shorter than the Kelty suspension. This allows a pack that will actually fit into the 22 x 14 x 9 carry-on checkers. This was on of my redesign objectives. I sent out 6 of these packs to a select group of Beta testers and based on their input, this pack will be very popular.

Remember, when flying internationally, the weight restriction is often more of a challenge than the size. Most US domestic flights allow 40 pounds. International carriers allow a small fraction of that. Moral of the story, check with the airline you intend to fly.

Bruce
    Would be very interesting to check as i am flying quite often.
    However one thing to add.

While airlines do check for weight one can always point to fine print on the ticket and there is typically bit where video- and photo- camera equipment as well as laptops (one of) do not count against uppermentioned weight limit for carry-on. :P i had to use it few times.

My solution is to not try to carry every single piece of equipment in the same bag. All airlines let you carry on a piece of luggage plus a personal bag (such as a camera bag). I fit my Chamonix and 3-5 lenses in a normal size camera shoulder bag (my Domke J-1 or Think Tank Retrospective 10) and all the film and holders go in my backpack. I also have a tripod that fits in my backpack. I traveled to Iceland this way last year and would recommend this strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    22x14x9" 45" total dimension. That is the maximum carry on limit for most airlines.
    Even that will be gate checked by many commuter airplanes. Usually gate checking is fine but you definitely want some padding and structural integrity to the pack/case if you do.

I have always been able to retain possession of my Think Tank Airport Antidote, albeit it is the smallest of their backpacks and it will not "carry" as nicely as a name-brand backpacking pack. It will hold a 4x5 Technika, ten holders, 3-4 lenses and foo-dads. However you can also get away with a laptop messenger bag for electronics and a moderate digital (small SLR or m4/3s). That's what I would do for reasonable travel.

However if you really must bring it all, pack it in a Pelican or Lightware or Tenba ATA-proof case with lots of padding. Keep an inventory list and have things labeled and organized. Use TSA-locks. Carry insurance. Maybe use the backpack to carry film and lenses only. Or ship everything ahead to your destination. In any event, it really adds up quickly and you might be a lot better off to adjust your gear-headedness?

From my experiences traveling with an airline with anything LF without a pelican case, is just asking for it to be broken. Unless you have a Crown or Speed Graphic that can take a beating. I would just get a smaller bag for traveling and mate it with a slightly larger Pelican case.