Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

Re: 4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

Thanks all.

I've found some EOS adapter, but they are just an EOS mount on a plate. What I want is to put the sensor where is the film to keep the geometry of the view camera.
    Have found this and have contact them, waiting for an answer :
    http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-09-05/index.htm

So it sounds 90mm super angulon isn't something to buy for such system ? What would be a nice lens then ?

Thks
    Nicolas

I have one of the adapters from fotodiox - it has been quite interesting to play with though haven't used it for serious applications yet. I went this route to have an easy solution for having movements available for the DSLR when I wasn't just using the view camera. If you don't have a 4x5 system, why are you looking at this type of approach rather than a tilt-shift lens? By the time you have your system set up, you could at least get a Hartblei super rotator. You can get shorter focal lengths that way, which you originally mentioned. The 150mm on a 4x5 with your FF DSLR on the back will give you the equivalent of a 150mm lens for your DSLR. It will only give you a wider view if you take multiple shots and stitch them together so that the total image area is larger than your sensor. While I've had some good preliminary results with this system, I would not have taken this approach if I hadn't already had the view camera.

Cheers!
    Bill

Someone attached an extension tube to a lensboard to mount a 35mm for stitching.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ew-camera.html

What you need is the Cambo Ultima, probably with some Digitar lenses. It will probably cost you an arm and a leg but you don't get real quality for peanuts. Actually you don't get *real* quality using a Canon digi-Eos for any kind of money, but that is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    What you need is the Cambo Ultima, probably with some Digitar lenses. It will probably cost you an arm and a leg but you don't get real quality for peanuts. Actually you don't get *real* quality using a Canon digi-Eos for any kind of money, but that is another story...
    BS!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Well, I must say that I really like the mood and feeling of a 4x5 view camera, and I would need the movements, specially about focus plane (perspective don't interest me right now). So maybe I should go with a 90mm tse, sure more versatile, maybe less expensive. But well, a 90 tse have no vintage charm at all ;-)
    But seems I can't do anything good with a 35mm canon digicam, and I have no money for a LF digital back and digitar lenses, so let's see ...

Thanks all for your answers, really apreciated, sincerely.

Nicolas

Exclamation Re: 4x5 view camera with 35mm DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas G. View Post
    So, without going to HR digital LF lenses which are very expensive, what would be some good lenses for such use ? Seems symmar 180 APO and Schneider super angulon 90 f/8 are good and not too expensive ? I would have 50mm, 85mm, and maybe 135mm perspective equivalent on 24x36. So I guess I will need a 150mm to have field of view of a 50mm 24x36, but I will keep perspective/deformation from a 150mm as focal lenght doesn't change with the format, right ? So maybe a 90mm would be a good starting lense.
    I think you missed something over there.

A 150mm lens will act exactly the same as a genuine canon lens of that length. Perspective and DOF will be as they were, the latter off course depending on your aperture. A 150mm will act as a telelens, a 50mm will be a standard. And even the super angulon will, despite its name, be a (moderate) telelens. The difference will be the range of apertures, starting and ending much smaller.

On a 4x5 using a lens shorter than about 65mm will not be easy. You will at least need a wide-angle-bellows and a recessed lensboard, but even then movements will be restricted. I suggest you make your choice of brand with that in mind. The smaller the minimum distance between lens and film/sensor, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    BS!

What the OP wants is a way to get the digital camera sensor in the film plane so that all the movements work correctly. All the suggestions for adaptors that mount the DSLR some way behind the camera fail to meet that criterion. The Cambo does what he wants:

"The Ultima 35 places the sensor exactly in the optical axis vertically, horizontally and front-to-back. Any rear movement, whether swing, tilt or shift keeps the film plane on axis and in focus." to quote from the Cambo web-site.

Unfortunately, like many people here, the OP wants a Rolls-Royce solution for Ford Focus money.

Richard

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by seepaert View Post
    A 150mm lens will act exactly the same as a genuine canon lens of that length. Perspective and DOF will be as they were, the latter off course depending on your aperture
    and the sharpness/resolution will be much worse. the enormous image circle of the large format optics comes at the expense of mtf performance at high resolutions. this is normally more than compensated for by the much smaller enlargements you make with bigger negatives. but if you're using a tiny digital sensor, your enlargement factors will be very big.

I don't want a rolls for ford money, as I said I know nothing about LF view camera, that's why I ask here. I now better define the problems, and maybe will put this project for later. I don't "need" such tools, I just wanted to know if I could buy some used part on ebay and build an adapter myself to "play" with movements of a view camera, which I think could give me more creativity. The day I "need" such tool, I know what to buy and will put the money into, no doubts. I don't "want" anything for "nothing", I'm just looking at a solution to gather something I could play with. But as I'm perfectionnist I won't do it if it doesn't give me good results, that was my primary interrogation.

Nicolas