Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens harness

Lens harness

So while using a 360mm lens on my old Deardorff with the fiddly little tabs that keep the lensboard in place, I figured that some sort of harness consisting of a cord that goes around the lens and attaches to the camera body would make me feel much more relaxed. (Yes I feel a pang of concern when I put the lensboard on that it may simply fall off one day.)

Other, much smarter people must already do this -- where do you attach the other end of the harness? I don't want to damage the camera by screwing some sort of anchor into it.

Re: Lens harness

I'd look for a knob where it's not in the way.

I don't use such a harness for lenses with my LF cameras, but I did put a leash like that on the rare slip-on lens shade for my Bronica-Nikkor 40mm/4.0. It's saved it a few times.

360mm = 44DD?

DOes the lack of the usual immediate response to this particular post suggest that I am being overly anxious, and shouldn't worry about the lens and lensboard falling off the camera front?

Even so, I suppose using a harness of some sort is worth it to placate my anxiety.
    We sailors have a thing for lanyards & lashing stuff down.

I guess what I should really do is find a way of replacing the fiddly little rotating lensboard-holder tabs with something more substantial & reliable which is more likely to stay in place.

360mm = 44DD. Yup. but less bouncy.

There are a lot of old lenses out there with dented filter rings, so evidently they do fall off sometimes.

Cyrus, you know how lens boards have the 2 narrow sections of grain that oppose the wider center section? I learned the hard way one afternoon that the 2 narrower sections go up and down, not side to side. Yep, a 12" Wolly Velostigmat made it's way to the concrete floor. Ouch! I still don't have enough sense to put a lanyard around my lenses though. Maybe a slinky? Give it a nice soft descent. Probably a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Cyrus, you know how lens boards have the 2 narrow sections of grain that oppose the wider center section? I learned the hard way one afternoon that the 2 narrower sections go up and down, not side to side. Yep, a 12" Wolly Velostigmat made it's way to the concrete floor. Ouch! I still don't have enough sense to put a lanyard around my lenses though. Maybe a slinky? Give it a nice soft descent. Probably a very good idea.
    So in other words, even if I get a good retaining clip, the lens could theoretically still fall off if the lensboard cracks.

Great.

Thanks for the added anxiety! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    So in other words, even if I get a good retaining clip, the lens could theoretically still fall off if the lensboard cracks.

Great.

Thanks for the added anxiety! LOL!
    No, if I'd had a lanyard tied to the base of the camera it would have caught lens board and all before it hit the concrete. I suppose clattering into tripod legs is better than a nice clean fall to the concrete.

I've often thought of something like this myself. Also, because I tend to hold lenses by their front element or step-up ring, I have resisted getting any type of slip on filter holder (like the SK Grimes version) because I know that at some future time I'll thoughtlessly pick the lens up by the ring and the lens will fall off onto a large rock.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Darkcloth Fumbler

I use a special lens pillow. I inflate it before every set up, and place it directly below where the lensboard would be. Then when I install or remove the lens, I am protected in case the lens falls on the floor. It's less hassle because I don't have to worry about attaching/removing a tether. B&H sells them for $149 or thereabouts, and I'm sure it's made the money back countless times over.

I'm kidding.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.