Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: magazines, etc. for collectors

Abuser of God's Sunlight

magazines, etc. for collectors

we talk a lot here about magazines and websites aimed at photographers, but i'm interesting in checking out wherever collectors go. seems like if you're trying to find your audience, and figure out how to reach them, these could be good places to look.

so there's focus mag. what else is out there?

Re: magazines, etc. for collectors

Black and White Magazine? At least no talk about cameras and fstops.

You have American Art Collector, but then it is for collectors of traidtional art...that rules out photography..lol....

luminous-lint.com is aimed at collectors, although it is stronger on historical photography than contemporary.

I'm not sure who reads Black and White, but I sense it may be collectors of a more conservative nature. I posted an ad in there about a year ago for my print sale, and got zero response, not even an email inquiry; that's never happened to me before, as I've aways gotten some sort of nibble, at least a question from someone.

The relative appeal of my work and marketing aside, I was left with the impression that its readers may only be buying stuff of a more traditional, even decorative nature. I don't sense that its readers are scrounging the pages of ads we photographers take out in order to pick up prints from new and emerging artists before they become expensive, or rather, they are looking at people's work that already looks like others, be it Adams, Kenna, and such. Just to be explicit, this is my hunch, given my experience, and what I see published.

Photoeye, as a booklist, which is a sort of "magazine", but also the site is a huge draw, I think, which leads me off-topic to this issue: to some extent, I wonder whether or not, outside the gallery system, collectors are to be found to be congregating in any herd size at all where one can market to them as a group. I've had better luck with, for example, non profit photography centers, which attract their own group of collectors at a smaller level.

My sense is that it is better to compile a list of individuals through other means. The unpredictable nature of collectors aside, I also think that markets are fragmenting in a way that makes advertising to groups less effective, as more people are going to more, separate places to look at stuff, creating less concentration in any one spot.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    I... I also think that markets are fragmenting in a way that makes advertising to groups less effective, as more people are going to more, separate places to look at stuff, creating less concentration in any one spot.
    i've wondered about that too, but thought that it might also be a good thing. if collectors are becoming more specialized, it might make it easier to find ones who could be interested in your work, at least in some cases. you'd at least be able to avoid wasting your time with groups of vintage work collectors, or conceptual work collectors, or whatever.

I get the sense that black and white magazine is less for serious collectors and more for serious hobbyists, desperate amateurs looking for exposure (as proven by its multiple contests), and people who just like looking at, not buying, black and white photography.

Sure, there's that little section in there about what's happening at the auction houses in New York, etc... but that mostly just seems to be a flashy report on what the newest record is for highest selling photograph in a certain category. I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone who can afford Steichen's "The Pond- Moonlight" is getting their tips on upcoming artists and auction info from B&W magazine. They probably hire someone to do that.

I find the ads in the back taken out by "emerging" photographers to be pathetic, pointless attempts at exposure. Honestly, the only people they're advertising to are people just like themselves or people who could care less. I'm not trying to rip on anyone, I probably would look just as foolish if I had one of those ads too.

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    I get the sense that black and white magazine is less for serious collectors and more for serious hobbyists, desperate amateurs looking for exposure (as proven by its multiple contests), and people who just like looking at, not buying, black and white photography.

Sure, there's that little section in there about what's happening at the auction houses in New York, etc... but that mostly just seems to be a flashy report on what the newest record is for highest selling photograph in a certain category. I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone who can afford Steichen's "The Pond- Moonlight" is getting their tips on upcoming artists and auction info from B&W magazine. They probably hire someone to do that.

I find the ads in the back taken out by "emerging" photographers to be pathetic, pointless attempts at exposure. Honestly, the only people they're advertising to are people just like themselves or people who could care less. I'm not trying to rip on anyone, I probably would look just as foolish if I had one of those ads too.
    As someone who bought ad space in B&W, I am embarrased to say you got it in one. I am not sure focus magazine is any different, they will feature an stablished photographer, but they charge "emerging" photgraphers to be featured, more of the same as B&W I guess.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I took up focus on their generous offer for a free ad. It wil be interesting to see if anything comes of it (not that i'll know anything for sure if I don't get replies...).

I'm also not sure who their readership actually is. At least they position themselves as being for collectors ... we know who they'd like their readership to be.

Three other magazines that most serious collectors would pay attention to are Aperture, Blind Spot, and Contact Sheet--especially and always and most important, Aperture.

In the past decade, auction catalogs and gallery websites have become an important way to stay current, but increasingly the photo blogs are critical. There are a dozen or so photo blogs that seem especially influencial.