Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yosemite - tunnel view overhall

Re: Yosemite - tunnel view overhall

What I find most interesting is when something becomes "historic" and henceforth part of the visual fabric of the park and receiving protected status.

On the grounds of The Ahwahnee, there are 19 sequoias planted by the owner of the stables that preceded the hotel. James Lamon's orchard by Curry is especially contentious because the apples attract bears.

The beautiful elm in the middle of Cook's Meadow that appears as though it is trimmed to mimic the shape of Half Dome, is the last of a line of trees that bordered a road that transected the meadow. It was planted. The sugar maple by the chapel. There are many examples within the valley.

Also interesting to me is when age takes a supreme specimen out of circulation. The Jeffrey Pine on Sentinel Dome or the oaks in El Capitan meadow, such as the one that Ansel photographed clad in a snowy robe, or the inverted branches that star in a John Sexton image.

I was reminded of the transient nature of such stars last winter when I made an image of a pair of those very expressive oaks, only to return three months later to discover that one of them had lost a large limb that was key to the composition.

With so many people complaining about how over-exposed the park is, it actually offers an everchanging scene...

I wasn't able to view the link because I refuse to be coerced to sign up to such news sites unless they are free. So instead poked around a bit and found the NPS environmental impact report from which I copied the below four brief sections:

==========================
    The existing viewing area in the North Lot consists of a narrow five-foot wide sidewalk,
    which has not accommodated the level of visitor use of the overlook that has been
    established for decades. Routinely, visitors to the overlook are forced into crowds of three to
    five people deep (including photographers with tripods) to see the view of Yosemite Valley.
    Consequently, visitors inadvertently and unknowingly step off the sidewalk and into the
    lanes of the immediately adjacent roadway, and thus into oncoming traffic.
    • Vegetation such as ponderosa pine and incense cedar have grown and increasingly obscured
    much of the historic view, further limiting views of the valley. The encroaching vegetation
    forces visitors to cluster into smaller viewing areas than have existed historically. In turn,
    increased crowding and diminished enjoyment could occur."

South Lot Viewing Area
    All Action Alternatives would include the establishment of a 560 square foot viewing area on the
    north side of the South Lot. Three trees would be removed to restore the historic vista under all
    Action Alternatives.

Vista Clearing
    All Action Alternatives would include removal of approximately 20 trees ranging from 1-inch to
    26-inch dbh to restore the view from the North Lot to its historic condition—completely open
    and unobstructed. Three trees ranging from 10-inch to 20-inch dbh would be removed to clear
    Alternatives

2-6 Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Environmental Assessment
    the view from the South Lot. Selective thinning of approximately 5-10 trees (ranging from 1-
    inch to 18-inch dbh) would be removed along the Canyon View sidewalk and the Valley View
    sidewalk.
    =================================

Personally as a photographer and frequent Yosmeite visitor over long years, this is good news to me. During the last couple years I've posted complaints about trees obscuring views at both Tunnel View and Valley View on a few web sites including the obscure Yosemite park site used by locals. As someone with a knack for debate, each time I crafted a reasonable though brief argument why they needed to take action. Invariably most of the respondees, with obvious small minded political correctness sensibilities, would condemn the idea of manipulating nature in any way. Despite the fact such viewing locations were fully built in a manipulated way and intended for general public viewing. However I knew my words would probably be read by some of the more pragmatic lurking park officials. So was later glad to see this project proposed. And I hope this same kind of considerate, reasonable, thinking will spread to other parks like say Great Smoky in the east where people still suffer while park officials hide fearing inane criticisms.

...David Senesac

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    I was reminded of the transient nature of such stars last winter when I made an image of a pair of those very expressive oaks, only to return three months later to discover that one of them had lost a large limb that was key to the composition.

With so many people complaining about how over-exposed the park is, it actually offers an everchanging scene...
    Right you are, Keith,

This is one of the pleasures of knowing a place. I have photographed along the same stretch of a creek in the Redwoods for 30 years. Part of this experience is saying good-by to old friends...especially huge Big-leaf maples. And also seeing open views slowly close up with alders and berries. A few of the oldtimers have fallen creating new open views, but redwoods exist in a different time-space...it would take hundreds of years and a power of observation I do not have to see them growing.

Vaughn

If they would put in full service for RVer's that would be something! How about full power with cable TV, phone and Sewer. Then get a real store like Safeway in there so we can get some real food and stay a while.

David,

Thanks for that info. I am looking an historic photo of the vista from the 1930s and it shows clearly how much the trees have grown in the last 75 years. I'll see if I have an opportunity to check a map of the plan that shows which trees are targeted.

The comments about the sidewalk and traffic congestion could have been my own they are so close to my own impressions.

And Vaugh, I love your analogy of losing friends as many of the features we photograph become familiar friends over the years. And more still, the notion of one of your favored trees falling, only to create a new vista.

In a large sense, photographers are responsible for elevating certain trees to iconic status with the creation of a memorable image. I personally find it rewarding to stumble across some of the more historically obscure examples that are either hidden by new growth, or off the beaten track enough that few encounter them any more.

Have you ever visited Agaziz Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    I wasn't able to view the link because I refuse to be coerced to sign up to such news sites unless they are free. So instead poked around a bit and found the NPS environmental impact report from which I copied the below four brief sections:

==========================
    The existing viewing area in the North Lot consists of a narrow five-foot wide sidewalk,
    which has not accommodated the level of visitor use of the overlook that has been
    established for decades. Routinely, visitors to the overlook are forced into crowds of three to
    five people deep (including photographers with tripods) to see the view of Yosemite Valley.
    Consequently, visitors inadvertently and unknowingly step off the sidewalk and into the
    lanes of the immediately adjacent roadway, and thus into oncoming traffic.
    • Vegetation such as ponderosa pine and incense cedar have grown and increasingly obscured
    much of the historic view, further limiting views of the valley. The encroaching vegetation
    forces visitors to cluster into smaller viewing areas than have existed historically. In turn,
    increased crowding and diminished enjoyment could occur."

South Lot Viewing Area
    All Action Alternatives would include the establishment of a 560 square foot viewing area on the
    north side of the South Lot. Three trees would be removed to restore the historic vista under all
    Action Alternatives.

Vista Clearing
    All Action Alternatives would include removal of approximately 20 trees ranging from 1-inch to
    26-inch dbh to restore the view from the North Lot to its historic condition—completely open
    and unobstructed. Three trees ranging from 10-inch to 20-inch dbh would be removed to clear
    Alternatives

2-6 Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Environmental Assessment
    the view from the South Lot. Selective thinning of approximately 5-10 trees (ranging from 1-
    inch to 18-inch dbh) would be removed along the Canyon View sidewalk and the Valley View
    sidewalk.
    =================================

Personally as a photographer and frequent Yosmeite visitor over long years, this is good news to me. During the last couple years I've posted complaints about trees obscuring views at both Tunnel View and Valley View on a few web sites including the obscure Yosemite park site used by locals. As someone with a knack for debate, each time I crafted a reasonable though brief argument why they needed to take action. Invariably most of the respondees, with obvious small minded political correctness sensibilities, would condemn the idea of manipulating nature in any way. Despite the fact such viewing locations were fully built in a manipulated way and intended for general public viewing. However I knew my words would probably be read by some of the more pragmatic lurking park officials. So was later glad to see this project proposed. And I hope this same kind of considerate, reasonable, thinking will spread to other parks like say Great Smoky in the east where people still suffer while park officials hide fearing inane criticisms.

...David Senesac
    I'd agree. Tunnel view is overgrown with too many trees. It's no different than removing a few nasty weeds from your backyard. The bad news is that the tree huggers are now becoming wealthy old hippies. They'll hire attorneys to get an injunction to stop the tree removal, and we're back to square one.