Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feedback: long time Maxwell Screen users?

From what I've seen in older threads the Maxwell screen is very well designed and manufactured, and a significant improvement over standard gg/fresnel setups. Bill Maxwell certainly seems very knowledgable and forthright.

As it is a relatively expensive viewing screen, I'm curious if there are any people who have had their Maxwell in use for a while and can report on how well it's holding up.

I'm going to be buy it for use on a Master Technika.

Thanks!

Re: feedback: long time Maxwell Screen users?

I have had one for about 3 years and it is doing just fine. It is an excellent screen.

Arnie,

As a ground glass manufacture, and an owner of a Maxwell, I can tell you for an enhanced viewing screen, Bill makes one of the best in the market.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

Anne,

Dave Parker is probably correct. I've never owned a Maxwell screen. All of my cameras are fitted with Dave's Satin Snow glass. this runs from 4x5 to 5x7 to 8x10 (2) to 7x17. For the $$ Dave likely manufactures the finest gg available. I would recommend spending a few $$ on some of Dave's gg before forking out the big $$ for a Maxwell screen. Just be prepared to wait a while for Dave's glass. There is a good reason why Dave has more orders than he can fill...... Draw your own conclusions...

John

PS other than being a customer of Dave's, I have no interest in his business.

I have had 2 Maxwell screens, 1-4x5 & 1-6x6, for about 5 years and find them to be excellent. They are bright and easy to focus, I highly recommend them.

dave, that's wonderful of you to say. if i didn't already have a maxwell, you'd have another order to fill. arne, i've had a maxwell screen on my master tech 2000 for several years now and it's every bit as good as it was the day it was installed.

Dave,

I too am impressed with you taking the time to give such unbiased feedback. Honest complements between vendors is way too rare these days. It says a lot about the quality of your products.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Norris View Post
    Dave,

I too am impressed with you taking the time to give such unbiased feedback. Honest complements between vendors is way too rare these days. It says a lot about the quality of your products.
    I'm not surprised with Dave's reply. Traditional groundglass like Dave, myself and others produce, have different qualities and are not comparable to the enhanced viewing screens like Maxwell, Bosscreen... but te latter kind is up to 15 times more expensive.

It's an entirely different product.

Greetings,

Geert
    GVB groundglass

I sometimes think I've used every type of viewing screen on the market - in addition to a Maxwell on a Master Technika I've used Beattie, BosScreens (3), original equipment Fresnels on Ebony (2) and Tachihara (2) cameras, original ground glass on a variety of cameras - Technikardan, Deardorff, etc. The Maxwell was the best of the bunch and in the four or five years I used it showed no deterioration.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Two years with the Maxwell screen on a Linhof MT and still as good as new, which is to say, incredible. Tried a number of less expensive fresnels and ground glass options - sold them all when I got the Maxwell and never looked back.