Thread: I need feedback/comments regarding Wista 8x10 field camera

I need feedback/comments regarding Wista 8x10 field camera

Anyone out there with experience using the Wista 8X10 field cameras ?I'm interes ted in buying this camera but would greatly appreciate any comments concerning t his cameras operational stability as well as its functionality. Please compare i t to other equipment such as the Deardorff.(of which I'm familiar).

I need feedback/comments regarding Wista 8x10 field camera

You can write or call Fields & Views @ P.O. Box 132 Old Chatham, NY 12136-0132 (212) 779-1471 and they can send you a circular. When I traded up to 8 X 10 the y sent me info. That was around February '97 or so and at that time they wanted 2500.00 (+/-) for one. Quality and durability seemed good but the front tilt ( 40 degrees forward & 30 deg back) - based on the photo, seem to be a BASE TILT O NLY design, an evolutionary step backward seems to me. THe specs on the circula r are as follows. 90mm to 550 mm extension FRONT: rise 70mm up 50 mm dwn, 17 degrees swing BACK: 35 degrees swing (ea. way ) 45 degrees tilt (fore & aft) and a weight of 4.5 kilos (9.9 lbs) The rear focu ses forward but has no rearward extension as a Deardorff would and the front foc uses forward only (ala Deardorff). They take their own wooden lensboard and als o apparently SINARs as well. I haven't seen or used one. Deardorffs are plenti ful and easy to get worked on, there are lots of used or new lensboards all over , often with lenses mounted in 'em. I'm not saying Wista is bad, but which is e asier to get worked on, a Peugeot (sp?) or a Ford? I know this doesn't answer y our question directly but I hope it helps.